Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install the 305/70R16 MTR's on the Moab wheels before I install the RE 4.5 LA lift? No wheeling, just some limited in town driving. My main concern is rubbing or interference that would damage the wheel or rig.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
JeepOn said:
Can I install the 305/70R16 MTR's on the Moab wheels before I install the RE 4.5 LA lift? No wheeling, just some limited in town driving. My main concern is rubbing or interference that would damage the wheel or rig.

Bill
Yes. You will have to add a few washers under the steering stops to prevent the inside of the tire from rubbing the lower control arms. This will result in a loss of some turning radius. Hard bumps at full turn will cause the tire to contact the inside of the front fender. Do not disconnect your sway bar.

The forum has a pretty decent Search function. A search for 305/70 returned 19 different threads. 2 deal specifically with the same question you've asked:
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=809&highlight=305+70
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=388&highlight=305+70

BTW, welcome to our group.

Jerry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Interesting search criteria. Never thought of that combination.

So please tell a rookie where and how the steering stop washers go and how are they put on?

Bill

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Head to the Techincal Write up section and read Jerry C's post on JP suspension 101..

There is a good spot to start and learn. Jerry has done an awesome job. Come with the questions...we have lots of litte helpers here.

Cheers.

G

·
0 Posts
I 2nd the Jeep Suspension 101 post.. Most excellent!!!

I was particularly week, but I printed the 101 and jacked up the Rubi, and man it was like the light of shinning truth went on!! Ok maybe not that dramatic, but even the guy who is helping me wrench my RE 4.5" SF kit on, complimented me my knowledge. Of course, I am thy type, that reaserched everything I could get my hands on about the TJ suspension, and how all the different manufacturer lifts effect things.

If your going to be wrenching your own vehicle as most of us are forced to do over the years, you can't have enough info on your Rubicon TJ.

One great thing about this site, is you can almost always find somebody that has installed and ran nearly every product out there on your same vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Jeep Suspension 101 Chapters 1 & 2 were some of the first posts I read. Jerry did a super job with the writeup and pictures. I have done extensive searches for "steering stops washer" and various combinations, but have not found an answer.

So, 1) where are the steering stops located? and 2) what is meant by putting a few washers under the steering stops? I am guessing, but I suspect it might be similar to the WJ, but no washers are involved with adjustments.

I would hope since I will only be driving the rig home from the tire store then to the shop, I might not even have to worry about it.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the tires on those rims then you will have to do the steering stops no matter what lift you have. I will try and find a pic for you to show you..

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
the 305`s fit just fine.. with adding a few washers for the steering take a good look they are the shinney washers with the new rust .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got 'em, I think. They are behind a bolt that is at about the 7-8 o'clock position off of the zerk fitting on the tie rod.

Thanks for the picture. Cleared that question right up. :D

Bill

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JeepOn said:
Got 'em, I think. They are behind a bolt that is at about the 7-8 o'clock position off of the zerk fitting on the tie rod.

Thanks for the picture. Cleared that question right up. :D

Bill
Bill,
yes unscrew that bolt and add a few washers. took 3 for mine.
mac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts