Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to Jeeps and this forum. I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door.

What is the tallest tire that I can put on my Jeep, without putting a lift on it? I would like to stay with the same width tire that came on the Jeep, or close to it. I assume the narrower tire will give me more clearance for turning, and I don't want to throw road debris on my motor home.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Welcome to ROF! Not sure but we have several JKRU owners here. If you are going tow it 4-down, stay with narrow tires otherwise they will scrub when you turn and wear quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I think the suggestion above from Bobs LJ is a good one. Also those tires are load range D, which will be a tad softer than most of the choices out there that are load range E. I am going to put these tires on my wife's JKUR with a lift, don't think I will need to change gearing then as it does not up the tire diameter too much. Building for mild up to class 2-2.5 trails.

·
Registered
771 Posts
255/80s

I believe the 34 x 10:50 x 17 BFG KO2 is the biggest you can go with OEM specs.
Don't leave out the 255/80s. I think the BFG 255/80-17s are taller on paper than those KOs. I believe rim width will have bit of effect on height for all tires- A tire on an 8" wide wheel will be taller than on a 9" wide wheel. Marginal maybe, but a really wide wheel over measured spec will be noticeable(with a tape)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried 255/85/17 on a stock Rubicon?

My stock tire on my 2015 are BFG 255/75/17s and it sure looks like they leave a lot of room in the fenderwell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts