Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove back from Colorado last night. I will post a trip report after I download the pics.

Clicking from t-case
Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Its probably just some sort of linkage issue... But, I am always curous as to what the dealer finds and fixes with these things... lol

I hope the issue gets resolved somewhat painlessly for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a stick and I doubt a linkage issue. It only happens when decending steep hills in low 1. Loud ticking, but I can get it to stop when I add brake pressure. If I let up on the brakes and let engine braking resume, the ticking comes back. Dealer hasn't called me yet.
Brian

G

·
0 Posts
I'm still banking on a linkage issue... Those can be funny down in the T-case, and even an auto tranny. hehe I find myself checking this thread now today fairly often, see'n what the dealer shop has to say about it though..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Low1 that would be an Auto tranny? Only a couple of things I can think of really quickly off the top of my head is transfercase or Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot is I had a lilttle rock stuck in the rotors and it would make a kind of "ticking" then grind noise and it wouldn't do it all the time drove me nuts and hours of looking. But it's just a wild stab. Let us know what it was in case it happens to someone else.

Mo

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Is it coming from the underside or the engine compartment. Have you had you Cam Position sensor adjusted. I had a very loud ticking untill I had a distrubuter sync done. Just a thought. Streesed rev's and the sensor off makes a racket under the hood.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LILRDJP said:
Is it coming from the underside or the engine compartment. Have you had you Cam Position sensor adjusted. I had a very loud ticking untill I had a distrubuter sync done. Just a thought. Streesed rev's and the sensor off makes a racket under the hood.
A couple of guys on the trail walked next to me while I drove it and they believed the noise was coming from the t-case.
The dealership called and they want to keep it over night. No suprise there. Hell, I told them to have one of the techs take it to FR42 and wheel it so they can recreate the noise. All they need is a steep hill and throw it in low 1 and they won't miss it.
Brian

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL I'm a comedian tonight... I wonder what tehy do with rubis while they have em overnight??? I think I'll stick to the they'll never know if we don't tell thing..

T-case eh, only noise i get from there is the chain a slapping when I hit the pedal while in 4lo. Ya know like when your wheelin and going over them rocks and ya just can't seem to keep the gas pedal on the same spot and ya get that jerkin goin on... Anyhow, I hope ya get it morrow and it's nuttin too major.

Mo

·
Registered
556 Posts
Doesnt relate to an auto but I had some small rocks up behind my clutch plate that made a ticking sound. Could be somthing like that? But only on a downhill seems it is unlikely. The sound was not present if you went fast then let the engine slow you down on a level surface?

·
Registered
43 Posts
drivetrain sounds have a tendancy to reverberate and be heard in other
parts of the drivetrain than where they originate. pull both the front and
rear wheels off, and see if the is unusual play in any one of the hubs. it
could be a bearing. 4 lo torque has a way of turning up these bugbears.
its a longshot, but you mentioned that light braking clears up the problem.
so that is where i would start. my .02.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My T-Case linkage makes a hell of a noise too...It has gone to the DR's now so they will figure it out. You paid for that warranty might aswell use it to the fullest.. Keep us up to date on the problem though..May surface elsewhere...

·
Registered
454 Posts
If they want to recreate the noise all they would have to do it put on a tow strap and have a truck pull it in 4-low.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Drive it til it spits out a part number!! Always works for me!! :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update for those who are interested. The techs at the dealership have recreated the noise (e.g., they probably took it wheeling!) but they don't know exactly what is wrong. Looks like linkage. No biggie
Brian

·
Registered
147 Posts
it's not the BL it's the BB LMFAO they will try anything to squeeze another dollar out of ya. Glad to hear you have it back, better keep the roadside assistance # handy just in case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Gotta love warrantee eh? Imagine if you dropped a couple grand into an Atlas? I would love to hear that conversation.

"So you're hearing a loud ticking noise are ya?"

"Yes, the t-case is brand new."

"Hmmm, we suggest you take it out and ship it to us so we can decide if its a warrantable issue. You will have to pay the shipping of course."

Gotta love the 7 year powertrain warrantee eh!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts