Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install tailight guards but need longer mounting bolts. Went to Lowes with an original bolt, tried all the sizes on their size and thread checker, and could not find a match. I'm stumped with this stupid little problem.

Anybody know the size of the taillight to body mounting bolts?

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's smaller than a 10, but bigger than an 8. that's why I'm puzzled. And it doesn't appear to be metric either.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gregert12, accept my apologies. Had my info wrong. You are right, it IS a 12-24. Boy that's an odd size though.

Thanks........Dana

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Even Fastenal doesn't stock them. I had a ground issue with my tail light CB antenna bracket with my Savvy corners and lights. After re-tightening them dozens of times, I ruined the threads. I finally solved the issue by running a separate ground to the frame and using ss bolts and lock nuts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping that wasn't true, about them being really scarce to find. I was thinking of the same solution you did. Longer SS bolts with locknuts. Why would Jeep use such a weird size for these screws?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
spacemobile1 said:
.............Why would Jeep use such a weird size for these screws?
To keep us on our toes. :rotflmao: I did find them locally in a Mom and Pop store that probably has anything that you would need, in the fastener department but, my threads were already screwed. It looks like a real stretch, at first, to do the bolt and lock nut thing. It really wasn't bad at all after you loosen the inner fender fasteners. SS or not, use anti seize and save yourself a little headache when you revisit an issue that you never thought that you would have to.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
fastenal does carry them...just didn't dig enough to see what they have for singles...i only saw large boxes of them on the site.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
JimmyB said:
fastenal does carry them...just didn't dig enough to see what they have for singles...i only saw large boxes of them on the site.
I didn't say that they didn't have them. Mine didn't stock them. They could order them but, their S&H is like $8.00 minimum. They have sent me to the local hardware store several times when I just needed a few fasteners that they didn't have on hand. I really should have clarified myself.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
After stripping two, I tapped them out to 1/4-20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
12-24 works... Lukys Hardware, in Burbank, (surplus fastener store) has a bunch of 12-24. I used a flathead / nut head 7/8 in long screw for mine. Worked great. Thanks for the above info.

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Thread from the dead LOL. Welcome to ROF Mike, how's things in crazy California? Please take a couple of minutes and introduce yourself in the New Member section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the wife bought a 2002 Wrangler to pull behind our truck. We are semi retired and looking to do more traveling. She bought a taillight protector and I tried to put it on. At first I couldn't figure out the problem. With a quick search of the internet, up pops your website with the answer. Fortunately, we have a place here that has odd ball nuts and bolts and I fixed the problem. I just thought I would pass on the solution to help out the next person. It's a bit hot here in California but not like Arizona. Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I will be researching issues from time to time.

·
1,576 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike. I’m in the Lakewood/Long Beach area. I’m two years retired and will let you know when I go out in case you want to join up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts