Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Do you think using Synthetics are worth the extra money?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how I feel and the reasons I use synthetics when changing lubes.

One is because I want to extend the life of things way beyond warranty. Some think that conventional oils will protect as long as synthetics. This is true, I think they will. The biggest difference between the 2 is how clean the sythetics keep things. I've torn into a lot engines and gear boxes and could see a huge difference in how clean the ones were that used synthetics. Conventional oils; the componets always were blackened and had sludge build up. Synthetics were clean like new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Chrysler/Jeep Dealer began using Synthetic Oil for ALL oil changes last year. The price went from 22.95 to 26.95, or closely therabouts. I'm glad they did. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Under normal use standard oil is fine but for extreme conditions the syth oil shines....Check out how it flows in very cold weather and it does not break down at high temps like the standard oil does.

G

·
0 Posts
I guess for me I feel that I'd rather use it and not have needed to than not to have used it and wish that I had.

Craig

G

·
0 Posts
I have used Synths on my '99 TJ Sport and my '00 Durango R/T. With the Sport I could actually measure a 1 MPG improvement in fuel economy. The gas gussling pig (R/T) drank fuel like a muther ...... so I couldn't tell any difference. I've heard that if you switch over to Syths you're not supposed to switch back. Unfortunately, you can't find Synths in all filling stations. I would suggest that if you switch over you carry a spare quart with you.

FYI, Harley Davidson just certified a Synth to run in the engine, tranny, and primary chaincase. This will stir up shop talk at the HD dealership (no punn intended).

P.S. You also have those stupid Syths blends. What's up with that? Just give me the grimmy stuff or Synth - don't mix em' up!

G

·
0 Posts
Howdy folks,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com has a lot of good info, on synthetics and dino's. and synthetics are 100 % compatible to dinos, so you can do what you like. If you read, shear has alot to do with the sludge, and such, so if you want read, but it convinced me of the benefits, and I think it'll convince you, too. Happy reading 8)

Pick

G

·
0 Posts
If one is to switch over to the synch at what mileage should they switch over? I've heard 10K miles is a good time. Engine is broken in by that point but..... with rubimule mentioning his local dealer using the synth makes me wonder if it is offered to vehicles for the first oil change (hopefully well under 10K miles).

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can start using synthetics as soon as 1,000 miles. I have waited to put synthetics in at the first scheduled change. So for the engine about 3,000 miles, and the tranny, x-fer case & diff's after the first year.

G

·
0 Posts
Pick said:
Howdy folks,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com has a lot of good info, on synthetics and dino's. and synthetics are 100 % compatible to dinos, so you can do what you like. If you read, shear has alot to do with the sludge, and such, so if you want read, but it convinced me of the benefits, and I think it'll convince you, too. Happy reading 8)

Pick
I went to that sight a while back and spent hours reading stuff. I cae away with pretty much the same feeling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am a firm believer of synthetics. :D

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Synthetics long term are great, but I think itis good to wait a while before switching over. I've heard as high as 25K. Reason being that synthetics do such a good job of preventing wear, that the bits that seal up the engine don't wear to the point where they fit into each other as well. It sounds like real break-in on this engine ends at 10K (where people are getting their final gas mileage), so I would guess this is where I will switch over.

·
Registered
639 Posts
synthetics are not made equal

Folks, note that not all synthetics are made equal. For example, Castrol Syntec (US version) is not up to par with others such as Mobil 1.

The easiest way to go synthetic for engine is just to buy Mobil 1 from Walmart (unless you have objection to buying from Walmart). Mobil 1 is one of the best and most commonly available.

I read that Amsoil and Redline are also good but can be pricy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there any solid recommendation........if you use synthetics.........when should you change your oil? 3000K seems like a BIT of overkill.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Colonel said:
dblhelx said:
Is there any solid recommendation........if you use synthetics.........when should you change your oil? 3000K seems like a BIT of overkill.
3K IS BIGTIME overkill!

Have a look at this thread...

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB ... php?t=4486
BAD ADVISE :bs:

Remember we are talking new vehicles here = under a factory warranty. 90% of us fall into the "B Schedule" for service maintenance, that means change your oil every 3,000 mi / 3 months during the warranty period. Does your engine need it that often? Probably not, but you have to do what the book says for your warranty.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't mind spending an extra $20-30 every 3,000 miles / 3 months for the added peace of mind and to satisfy warranty requirements, since I off-road.

It might be overkill on a new engine, but it certainly isn't hurting anything, so as long as you have the money, why not?

G

·
0 Posts
DC has switched over to Synths??? You mean dealers now put in Synths on all oil changes? I was not aware, that means on this last oil change they did, they put in Synth's, and I should run Synth oil from now on??????

I had em do my first change too, does this mean the last time I did it myself and did not use Synths I sort of did something wrong?

I have never run Synths yet, but this may force the issue for me I suppose.....

·
Registered
966 Posts
That might just be his dealership. I'm not sure if they all do. I called mine and asked them what DC uses for synthetic oil (if you ask for it) and they said that they're using something that is practically identical to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Synthetics no doubt. Heres what synthetics will do for you. In my airplane I do a oil analysis everytime we change the oil to check for wear on the engine. We always had trouble with high metal content in the oil, i.e. the engine was wearing to fast. In Sept. of 01 we switched to Exon Elite synthetic oil. The next oil analysis was dramaticly better. The metals in the engine all drop to normal levels or lower. For the last 1 1/2 years they have not come close to the levels we saw with conventional oils. After that demonstration you can't give me regular oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts