Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04, just turned 1200 miles, driven in the rain once.... 2 buddies and I spent 3 hours last night trying to get the $#^$^ sway bar links off to put on my JKS quick discos that just came.... Could not get the top bolts attaching the links to the swaybar to budge out of the bar.... anyone else have this problem and what did you do to get em out?

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I have a simple solution.....A hammer!....I had no problems loosening and removing the nut but the bolt you have to bang the crap out of with a hammer in order to get it out. A pickle fork may work too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hehehe....just went through all that myself.

You need a pickle fork. I got one from a rental center for $9 for the day. Slide it in the space between the bar and mount and bang away with a 3 lb hammer (or whatever you have). Kaplunk....it comes off.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Ned said:

You need a pickle fork. I got one from a rental center for $9 for the day. Slide it in the space between the bar and mount and bang away with a 3 lb hammer (or whatever you have). Kaplunk....it comes off.
You can also get tools from autozone or advance auto. The way they do it is that they sell you the tools, then you just return them and they credit your account.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ned said:

Didn't that daamge em? I want to keep em "just in case", if ya know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
RubiMon said:
Ned said:

Didn't that daamge em? I want to keep em "just in case", if ya know what I mean.
It just flattens the top of the bolt a little. If you use the pickle fork method prevously discribed you shoudnt get damage

·
Registered
101 Posts
What timing! I just installed my JKS Disco's yesterday... wanted to use them this weekend!

Just like everyone else, use the pickle fork. When you go to buy one, there are basically two sizes. Make sure you get the smaller of the two.

Good Luck :D

G

·
0 Posts
Another way to do it is to take the entire swaybar off including links. Flip it over on a board and give the bar a tap right behind the swaybar link with hammer. They come right out. Then just flip it back over and put it back.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
End of story JKS discos installed!

Man I am sooo glad I started talking "Jeep" with the shop foreman when I bought my Rubi........ he zapped em out for me in 10 secs with an air hammer with a chisel point... no damage and NO CHARGE!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts