Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here I am still stock on the suspension side and noticed while I was putting in teh spacers and discos the sway bar has been rubbing on the frame on teh pass. side. I haven't looked at teh drivers yet it got too dark outside. Any suggestions? kind of normal? I have wheeled it alot as some of you already know but I know not havin much flex and catching alot of air I wouldn't think teh front sway bar would rub against teh frame...

Mo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mo,

This is a timely question. I just did the mod to prevent this from happening
on my Rubi today. I am not sure exactly where I read it, but it could have
even been from a member on this forum.

Anyway, to prevent the swaybar from shifting, you install a couple of heavy
duty steel clamps on the inward side (just inside) of the swaybar mounts.
Here are some pics of mine taken this afternoon:

These clamps are produced by a company called McMaster-Carr. They are
part # 6436K48. They are only like $6.15 a piece. You need 2 of them.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

All I did was align the swaybar to be centered, and bolt on the clamps.
Hope this helps.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
IIRC, it was Ken White who suggested this fix in this forum.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Excellent pictures and writeup. Checked mine and it is off-center a little.

So, I have a question about that. How did you center the sway bar?

What also got my attention are the bump stops inside the front springs. On the left side, the bump stop is centered in the spring. On the right side the bump stop is a little off center.

Marks on the sway bar show that it has moved back and forth some and it is off center now by about 1/4".

I will get the clamps you show and install them after I get the sway bar centered. TIA for your advice on how to do that.

Cal

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Cal said:
Excellent pictures and writeup. Checked mine and it is off-center a little.

So, I have a question about that. How did you center the sway bar?

What also got my attention are the bump stops inside the front springs. On the left side, the bump stop is centered in the spring. On the right side the bump stop is a little off center.

Marks on the sway bar show that it has moved back and forth some and it is off center now by about 1/4".

I will get the clamps you show and install them after I get the sway bar centered. TIA for your advice on how to do that.

Cal
Cal..Disconnect the sway bar from the Axle end and just move it over. The bar move quite freely. As for your bumpstops that sounds like some good quality control duing the assembly process. It should not be a big deal at all so don't worry about it. For the clamps get time into place center the TB and then clamp away.

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Sean,

Thanks. I have never had the sway bar unhooked. Didn't realize that was all there was to it.

Cal

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jerry, can ya tell me where Ken posted the clamps? I searched last night and couldn't find any posts on it :(

TY all and looks like I'm buying clamps today YAY!!!!!!

Mo

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Mo, it was under PBR Stitch's OME Kits, things to double check thread towards the end. All you have to do is go to McMaster-Carrs web site and search for the part number and it will come up for ordering. Shipping is very cheap. Good luck.

Ken

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You all, got the c-clamps on order should be here within a week. it is kind of nice right now to ba able to move that cottenpickin sway bar as I just the discos installed till I can get em dialed in better.

Mo

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
No, that is not my site, I don't have one, but it looks like he has some great information there.

I installed the Rubicon Express throttle kit and did it quite a bit different than he did, he didn't have cruise control, but I wish I would have looked at what he did before I started. That always makes things so much easier when you can see what someone else has done!!

Thanks for the link and maybe we should create a new thread listing good/useful links???

Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ran into this same problem once I installed My 4.5 RE long arm. Thanks to this thread I just drove over to Mcmaster and picked up the part. done deal!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
So after reading the post on Friday, I clicked the link and ordered the parts. There they were, on the door step this evening. Sweet! A painless mod with a nice benefit. 8)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too, somehow miss that post.

I've been using DC special part #2. (#2 = crowbar, #1 = BFH)

I wish I'd seen it before the BullBar. Pass. side is no big thing, but Driver side has the steering box on the bottom and BullBar on the top.

Well, I wouldn't want any rust to form on part# 2.

Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just ordered a set of split clamps that look identical to the ones in the pictures posted for like $3.00ea CDN. Isn't that like 50 cents USD? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Bilbo79 said:
These clamps are produced by a company called McMaster-Carr. They are
part # 6436K48. They are only like $6.15 a piece. You need 2 of them.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

All I did was align the swaybar to be centered, and bolt on the clamps.
Hope this helps.

Bill
After getting the Rubi's cherry popped on Sunday I noticed when I went to reconnect the Quick Discos, that the Swaybar was off center from the tire rub that occured on the trails...... I just ordered these, What a Great F'ing Forum this is! I read 4 boards multi times a day... I always read this one last cuz I want to take my time and soak all the info you guys put up in.
To whoever created this site... THANK YOU!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts