Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I need to get the OME springs and shocks on this week. But before I roll the jack stand under the jeep I need some advice on good solid jack points.

For the rear I've heard that the pumpkin is a good place to lift so I can get the jack stands in place. Is this information true?

For the front, I've heard that the center of the axle is a good place to lift so I can get the jack stands in place. Is this information true?

I don't want to screw anything up. I put my motor mount in this weekend and now have a dented oil pan.

Thanks to all

G

·
0 Posts
I know a lot of folks who use the pumpkin as a lift point, but I am leery of this practice. I have a floor jack that can lift the whole side of the car. I lift at a point on the side of the frame where the car is balanced front to rear (about even with the front edge of the door), then place my jack stands wherever I want them.

Dan.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RubiDan said:
I know a lot of folks who use the pumpkin as a lift point, but I am leery of this practice. I have a floor jack that can lift the whole side of the car. I lift at a point on the side of the frame where the car is balanced front to rear (about even with the front edge of the door), then place my jack stands wherever I want them.

Dan.
So you lift one side and place the jack stand in place and then you lift the other side to put the other jack stand in place?

G

·
0 Posts
Don't do that. You have placed the Jeep in a very dangerous position. As you lift the other side, you will impart an horizontal force on the opposite side jack stands. Worst case scenario they Roll under the Jeep and it comes off of the Jackstands and then lands on them. Not really a good idea for some of the softer parts under the body.

Lifting one side does have it's advantages when you are doing tire rotations or inspections on one side of the vehicle.

For the rear you can lift it by the differential, make certain that you are centered under the differential and not catching it by the lip of the jack plate. Lift it only long enough to get the Jack stands under the frame (in your case forward of the LCA brackets. Then slowly let it back down.

For the front, you can lift it on the axle tube, just to the passenger side of the differential housing. Make certain that you do not catch the houseing. This will cause the Jeep to lift slightly lobsided, but you can get it high enought to get jackstands under it (Behind the LCA brackets). Just lower it slowly. The other thing you will notice is that the Jeep will drop forward as it settles out. A little disconcerting the first time.

Ideally the best way to lift the Jeep is to use a frame lift, but most of us do not have one of those in our garage, and if we can get access to one it will most likely be limited on the amount of time we can use it. So the Axles will take it, but don't leave it suspended this way, lift it just long enough to get the jack stands under it and then let it back down.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts