Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back my sun visor bracket broke. I suppose the heat from the sun got to it over the years.
I tried different adhesives to repair it, all failed, liquid steel lasted the longest.
I decided to go to Rock Auto out of curiosity. It was available for a couple bucks and will be here today.
I did not think it would be available due to the age of the vehicle. I am sure the same bracket was used for a few more years, but even still.
I am glad I checked Rock Auto before going to Ebay and finding someone selling one for 20 bucks and 90 dollars shipping. LOL

·
1,363 Posts
Glad you found one. I recently went through Morris 4X4 for a 2004 vacuum line set. It was my first time buying from them. They seem to carry things other vendors don’t.

I searched for “visors” on their site and came up with quite a few options from the pricey Mopar to a more reasonable Omix. I know that doesn’t help you much now, but put them on your list of sources.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I received the new bracket. It is made out of metal. The one in the Jeep is plastic. I guess they figured out there was an issue with the plastic ones. I may order another and do a preemptive strike on the passenger side.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmm, I received the new bracket. It is made out of metal. The one in the Jeep is plastic. I guess they figured out there was an issue with the plastic ones. I may order another and do a preemptive strike on the passenger side.
How does it look? Is the quality good? I might spring for a couple, mine are getting a little crispy

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, I installed the part. I did have to mod it slightly in order for it to work. The part is made in China of course and does not meet spec where the visor shaft goes in the part. The hole in the part is conical shaped. It was not drilled correctly. The hole was a tad too small on the visor side not allowing the visor shaft to go all the way in. All I did was take a slightly bigger drill bit and drill in about 3/16 in to the new part. This allowed the shaft to go in far enough. I had to reuse the OEM flat washer which serves as a base for the spring to run on. The replacement washer was too small, it would not slide all the way down the visor shaft. It is all together, and installed. It probably took 15-20 minutes extra to do the job because of the drilling.
The aluminum is very soft, so easily drilled, real easy. Step your drill bits up until the shaft goes where it needs to go when sliding into the part.
Of course my part may have been a result of poor Chinese quality control, yours may fit perfectly. LOL
The end in green is the end I opened up slightly.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,088 Posts
I went to an auto tint place
4" strip on front - don't need the useless flop down things now
Best $50.00 I ever spent

93F3261E-3649-407A-8DBD-5BBF9841D1B8.jpg
:wink2:

·
3,352 Posts
I like the idea Mac. I have a broken sun shade in my scrambler and this thread has me looking for solutions.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went to an auto tint place
4" strip on front - don't need the useless flop down things now
Best $50.00 I ever spent

View attachment 72134
:wink2:
LOL, Mine are not useless. I use them every day for insuring my sunshade does not flop down. If I did not use them, I would need a new dash cover, plastic on doors, seat covers, etc. The sun kills everything!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts