Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to install the skid row engine/oil pan skid plate (Warn doesn't fit Rubi's).

Do you have any suggestions that would help during the installation?
Can you recommend any web sites with installation tips?

thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
If you have an automatic transmission, spray the bolts on the stock auto tranny skid plate with PB Blaster, and let it soak overnight before removing the skid plate. Otherwise you run the risk of breaking loose the nutserts in the frame, and then you have to drill the bolts out. Don't ask me how I know this :rotflmao:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just installed one of these a week ago. The installation is pretty straight-forward, and their documentation is quite good. Mine was on a 6-sp manual, so with auto your results will vary. Here's what I did:

1. The skid mounts up to the right side lower control arm frame bracket, using the existing bolt. On my Rubi, the bolt head was on the inside and the nut on the outside, so it had to be reversed. I reversed the driver's side too (lest I have a lop-sided Rubi). If the bolt is "stuck", chock the rear wheels and jack up the front by the frame. I used a hi-lift jack under the front bumper, just a few clicks took the tension off the bolt. Put the bolt through the control arm bracket (with the control arm in place) but don't put the nut on.

2. Next, a bracket gets bolted to the drivers side motor mount bracket. The two nuts are welded to a single plate, which makes installation quite easy.

3. Once that bracket is in place, it's time to put the main plate on. My suggestion: balance it on a floor jack. Roll it under the Jeep, then raise it to the proper height so the LCA bolt goes right through the hole. This one trick simplified my installation immensely! Once the bolt is through the hole, put the nut on hand-tight just to hold it in place

4. Now comes the fun part. You have to drill three holes in the T-Case skid (AKA the shovel). Keep the floor jack under the skid plate and apply a little bit of pressure to make sure the plate is tight up against the T-Case skid, or secure it with vice grips. Make sure you have a good sharp drill bit, and safety goggles are a great idea as you are laying under and metal bits are coming off the drill bit. I used the holes in the skid plate as a drill bit guide. It's a good idea to spray the newly-drilled holes with paint before proceeding. I skipped that step since I plan to replace my shovel with a tummy-tuck of some kind long before I'll ever rust through (plus I live in Colorado, so I'm not too worried about rust).

5. When I did mine, the drilled holes ended up on a forward-sloping curved part of the TCase skid. SkidRow included carriage bolts (I think they were 3/4 inch long), lock washers, and nuts. Using the lock washers, the bolts only protruded about 1/2 way into each nut. So I went to a hardware store and bought longer carriage bolts (1" IIRC) and flat washers, used with the lock washers and nuts. BTW, I got all gung-ho on finding some grade-8 carriage bolts, and they don't seem to exist. At least not in the worlds of Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace.

6. The last part is the mongo piece of angle iron that gets bolted between the motor mount bracket and the front-left edge of the skid. Put that piece on, then go through and make sure all the bolts are tight.

That's it, punch out and go find a rock to test it. :lildevil:

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Pay close attention to the instructions as the front strut mounting is a little counter-intuitive. If not done right the driver side upper control arm may hit it.

C>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put mine on an "06" Rubicon with a 6 speed with Teraflex Belly-Up skid, instructions are pretty good, here are some pics, hope they help. You can see some side views in Reader's Rides section under "Silver Rubi with 35's"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put mine on an "06" Rubicon with a 6 speed with Teraflex Belly-Up skid, instructions are pretty good, here are some pics, hope they help. You can see some side views in Reader's Rides section under "Silver Rubi with 35's"

Anytime you people re-install a bolt where rust can happen,,....Use anti-lock compound on them. In the future the bolts will come out like the were just installed. Your temper and frustration will thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts