Rubicon Owners Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was leading a Jeep group to the old mining town of Bodie on the Masonic road when a fellow Jeeper called out on the radio something I thought was a joke. Here I am at the site a few minutes later with Bodie in the background.

To our surprise was a big black bear feeding on a cow or what was left of it. The bear was only a 100 yards down slope and kept looking up at us annoyed but would look at the cow and didn't run but was moving around trying to figure out what to do with a group looking at his prize. Obviously he was guarding his kill that was a large portion of his hibernating protein. Surprising for a black bear he had a grizzly type hump and was big.

You could see his belly was full to bursting and he was in no shape to charge up hill to us. Eventually he slowly walked up the other slope heading for some trees to no doubt sleep it off and to come back for more. The ranger said they had reports that the bear has been there several days feeding on the cow. Some figured since the bear was close to the road some knucklehead was bound to go in for a closer pic but the rangers seemed to not be concerned.

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
That is a big black bear

101 - 108 of 108 Posts