Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
There were several of these on Montezuma Grade west of Borrego Springs. Pics were taken from the window of the Jeep, the Bighorns were only a few feet away from us.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
wow, those are some awesome pics. i have a friend who is a hobby photographer, what camera and lens are you using for those? great shots.i ilke that jeep/snow pic a lot too.
The Jeep in snow was with my old Canon S100. Loved that little point and shoot but it crapped out a couple years ago. It lasted years in my front pocket over all kinds of terrain and weather, so it didn't owe me anything.

The other two were with a Canon 60D that I don't have anymore either. Rattler with a Canon 55-250 and the hawks with a Sigma 150-500 (which I also don't have anymore, sold it along with the 60D...).

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Went for a ride today.....must have been 40 Thanksgiving dinners total here. Most of them were in the field to the right. The flock included this interesting, "white" one. I've never seen one in the wild like it. Must be a genetic mutation...?

·
3,759 Posts
Definitely a rare bird!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Took a little ride today and snapped a few pictures.

I've posted pictures from here before, but in the center right hand portion of the image is another pullout/overlook of La Grande:

This is the view looking towards to spot the previous picture was taken. The brown area in the middle ot the image and about 30% of the way from the left is the spot the first image was taken:

It kind of gives the perspective of the valley.

We decided to had west and stopped at the "Historic Arch Bridge.". Not much there except the bridge over the RR tracks, but it is kind of neat. They certainly don't build them this way any more.

We drove out to Hillgard Junction State Park, which is a somewhat unremarkable park located next to the Interstate. This is a picture of the campground looking SE along the Grande Rhonde River. It also happens to dit right on top of one loop of the Oregon Trail.

The river runs from the right of the picture and bends to the left through the valley just ahead of the semi in the picture. The Trail came down the hill behind the trees in the left center and crossed the GR Riveraround the corner in the valley. They would sometimes camp on this side of the river as they had some work to do climing into the Blues from here.

The hill to the left was quite an obstacle and they used "block and tackles" to make it up the hill. They had a choice of traveling up 5 Points Creek on the other side of this hill and climbing that side. The other option was to come around to this side and climb it from here.

This picture was taken from the same spot, but a slightly different perspective. The trail would have come from the right and turned uphill just out of the left side of the picture.

This picture shows the general area where this loop of theTrail headed up. The maps I've seen are not exact, but it does run up this hill. To the far left, in the trees is a natural draw that seems to be where the Trail started up on this side of this hiil.

Next trip I'm going to look at the area on the other side of this hill and stop on the highway entrance ramp to see if there is any evidence of ruts. I don't think there is, but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
San Rafael Swell Utah, Jeep club adventure 2019
Abandon old time wood frame drilling rig

Mohave Road water crossing near Barstow CA
Screwed up the electric steps and water got through the door seals and got stinking carpet all the way home:(
There was a 20 mile go-around... But just had to do it but learned after hours of clean up, a more cautious and knowledgeable Jeeper would alway take the go-around:rolleyes:

·
3,759 Posts
Dave, are those dinosaur prints in Utah? I've seen some in Texas, but none in Utah

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Yes Sir. That one is in Buckhorn draw in The Swell. There are quite a few places to see them in Utah though. At least five or six spots I've seen. There are some pretty good ones by Moab too.

- DAA

21 - 40 of 72 Posts