Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good "SAFE" cleaners degreasers to spray on and wash off 2005 Jeep Rubi Unlimited 6cyl. engine, that will not screw up anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used pretty much all the degreasers from the usual auto parts stores without issues over the years. I remove the battery and waterproof off the major electrical areas and intakes first. Then spray on then agitate the degreaser, then hose off well and shop vac on blow. Detail to personal taste. Then I just leave the hood up during the daylight hours for a couple of days before starting/driving the jeep. I know I get plenty of water in the engine bay through the hood louvers when I normally wash the jeep so I know my airing the engine out is probably overkill...I've never had any issues. I do plan ahead knowning I won't use the rig.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Simple Green can cause corrosion on aluminum. They do make a version that is not that I believe is actually purple. Read the label to get the correct one if you intend to use it around aluminum.

·
3,369 Posts
I use to use simple green, it was cheap and easy to find. LA Awesome blows it out of the water. Came across in in another forum, I run a mowing business on the side and several of those guys were using it and raved about it. I figured for the price... what the heck. It is all I will buy now.

FWIW, My cousin witnessed this himself and it made a buyer out of him and I wasn't even trying to show it to him..... I had an old tooth brush I used to clean parts, so it was black in color. I tried dawn dish soap first to clean it, and it got some of it out. 2 squirts of LA Awesome and I rubbed it with my thumb and it darn near looked clean enough to use in a meth heads mouth.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Simple Green can cause corrosion on aluminum. They do make a version that is not that I believe is actually purple. Read the label to get the correct one if you intend to use it around aluminum.
And Simple Green does OK. I haven't been very impressed with its ability to clean up a motor.

Reactions: sam952

·
Registered
562 Posts
High pressure water will remove engine grease. No need for product with adequate pressure.

I have a 3000 psi pressure washer, so I really don't need degreasers.

A good cleaner? I usually use spray on tire foam. The cheapest available. Like Son of a Gun ... $3 a can.

Step # 1:
Spray tire foam on the ENTIRE engine bay, even the hood pad/insulation & WALK AWAY.
Can sit overnight to soften dried gunk & grime if needed. I've left it on for days... Weeks even. Reapply the next day if you want. And the next..... Engine don't care.

Step # 2:
Hose off the next time you're at a self serve car wash.
Sprays most caked up grime right off with car wash sprayer after it softens up the dirt/grime overnight (or longer). Garden hose can work after a few treatments.

Step # 3:
Drive home. .... a.k.a., drying time.

Step # 4:
Reapply foam & walk away again. Do not spray it off, leaving it on the engine & everything underhood.
Leaves underhood plastic, wire looms & hoses nice and clean & makes the painted, rubber & plastic items shine ... ... ... Instant underhood detail.

Bonus:
Keeps future dirt & grime from setting up allowing a simple spray off with garden hose to stay clean at your leisure.

Tip:
Spray entire engine bay with tire foam BEFORE wheelin'. Keeps dirt/mud from baking on so bad. Makes for a very easy clean up by simply hosing off with a garden hose when you're done wheelin'.

Yep, spray on tire foam.
Best lazy man's underhood detailer.... Ever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@SweetPee

Do you spray it on and leave it for a while?
Does it require scrubbing heavy spots?
How long to leave on before rinsing?
What is your rinsing routine?

Thanks in advance.

·
3,369 Posts
@SweetPee

Do you spray it on and leave it for a while?
Does it require scrubbing heavy spots?
How long to leave on before rinsing?
What is your rinsing routine?

Thanks in advance.
I keep my vehicles pretty clean, so they do not require a lot of scrubbing. I generally spray it on, heavily, and let it sit 3-5 minutes and hose it off making sure not to hit anything electrical too hard with the spray.

Now as I mentioned.... I mow also, so I use this on my mowers and decks. Those will require some light duty scrubbing, same process, but just some light scrubbing before the hose off. This is mainly to remove the greenish tint/stains to the paint from a seasons work of use. If there is a spot that has heavy buildup from greasing or an oil spill then it might require some heavier scrubbing and a second application. But the grease I use is "waterproof green grease" and it is tough as hell to get off of anything which is why I use it.

the great thing about it.... the stuff is cheap enough that I do not feel overly conservative when using it like I do/would/have with more expensive cleaners. Now that being said..... if you engine looks like a giant oil slick, as though someone took a half gallon of 10w-30 and a sprayer and went to town all over it...... not only do you have bigger issues, but yea.... that is going to take a lot of applications. Heck in that situation I might even elect to use a can of engine brite first. But I am thinking of the worst case situation I can imagine. Most of us are no where near what I am envisioning here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts