Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bunch of nice responses to my "new member" post and some suggested what stuff to take when heading out to the boonies...I've concocted this checklist over my many years of backpacking, mountain climbing, search and rescue and yes, four wheeling in the hinterlands...add, subtract, multiply and divide all this stuff and we most likely would not take it all on every trip out depending on weather, trip length, destination, etc....new additions/suggestions mighty welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
I
I wouldn't be anywhere in the back country without a firearm.
I find this funny as I have never felt threatened inside my Jeep, lol
I do a lot of hiking and never felt the need to carry but I do have a outing planned where I will be in grizzly country. My research tells me that I need either a 12 gauge with a slug or a fat, slow, hiking partner.

·
Registered
752 Posts
U
Even a slow fat hiker can run pretty fast when being chased by a bear. I prefer to carry a 22 pistol. Plenty of firepower to take out a knee.
Where I live it is against the law to shoot your hiking partner in the knee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I
QUOTE="johncanfield, post: 1375245, member: 9858"]
I wouldn't be anywhere in the back country without a firearm.
I find this funny as I have never felt threatened inside my Jeep, lol
I do a lot of hiking and never felt the need to carry but I do have a outing planned where I will be in grizzly country. My research tells me that I need either a 12 gauge with a slug or a fat, slow, hiking partner.
[/QUOTE]
Greetings rl...I don't have a dog or wife so I guess they got left off:ROFLMAO:
As for the firearm I just look at it as "insurance" which is under the MISC category...as in you don't need it till you do need it or it's always better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it, heck, you already know all that...unfortunately there is more chance you'll get confronted by a two legged animal rather than a four legged one, me thinks in this day and age of crazies all over the place. What do you think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see anything for a basic hand tool kit. Electrical tape, bailing wire. I also have a roll of Gorilla tape.
Some of the items are pretty generic like Tape, I always throw in several rolls of different kinds because you just never know...but not enough room on the page to enter specific types so I just left it generic...I added entries for basic hand tools and bailing wire, thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recall an incident many years back way outside of Death Valley for from nowhere and you might not see anyone for days at a time...trundling down a lousy dirt road and an old pickup approached me head on...as I got closer I noticed a male driving, female in the middle of the bench seat and and another male in the passenger seat...I could not help getting a bit suspicious as I noticed the pickup bed was pretty much empty as I got up close and stopped to talk to the driver...he asked me If I knew where the closest gas station was and I'm glad I had my hand cannon out and facing through the doors to about his midsection as a bit of a chill traveled up my spine...I wanted no part of that conversation, said no, and moved on...to this day I can find no explanation for what they were doing in that place and saw no evidence of a campsite anywhere around.

·
2,111 Posts
I had a guy pull a knife on me in a children‘s area at Sea World. I had hand surgery from another knife/robbery event. You just never know out there. I’m intentional at not being a victim.

A while back a guy got the drop on three teenaged guys out in the Mojave. They got away as he looked for them in the desert. The guy was killed in a shootout days later.

·
Registered
752 Posts
While reading your list it reminds me of how much stuff has found a permanent home in my Jeep.
Of course recovery gear and tools, but other things as well.
Binoculars, never know when you need them. Compass, I am still looking for a Vortex.
Toilet paper....
A back packer told me that he carried matches and a piece of old inner tube to start a fire in the rain?

Up here we have very restrictive fire arm laws. Even if I could carry I don't know if I would. I have been around firearms all my life and always thought if I am going to point it I need to be prepared to pull the trigger. I would also need some Hand gun training so that in a panic I wouldn't shoot myself.
Out of all the Hill Billy towns and dive bars, and all the back country roads on both sides of the border, the worst incident I have experienced was in Seattle. Middle of the afternoon we made a wrong turn and ended up in a BAD part of town.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a guy pull a knife on me in a children‘s area at Sea World. I had hand surgery from another knife/robbery event. You just never know out there. I’m intentional at not being a victim.

A while back a guy got the drop on three teenaged guys out in the Mojave. They got away as he looked for them in the desert. The guy was killed in a shootout days later.
Yikes, Norm, are you doing/saying something that attracts folks with knives?:oops:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know this is not a firearms forum and there is much jeep stuff to discuss...being out in the wilderness does not mean we left the crazies behind so preparation for any event is obviously important...Full Disclosure here: I just retired after 16 years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, Los Angeles County and spent a few years on the search and rescue team looking for lost folks all over the place including the desert and mountains, we found most of them...some dead, some alive...though the vast majority of our trips are without dangerous incidents, we never know what we might run into anywhere, anytime...because I can, I carry concealed 24/7.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
747 Posts
Love the list - thank you for sharing. Looks very similar to mine. Similar to rlenglish, I've ended up packing many of those items into thin Pelican-style containers that fit underneath my seats and on the rear floorboards so they're always with me. I've had too many occurrences of "oh I wish hadn't of just taken that out of my Jeep!" when something was needed, not only for me but primarily for others actually. Then for an actual trip, I'll pack more extensive tools, camping, safety, survival, etc., gear depending on the situation.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
My camping is limited to overnight stays next to the trails and literally to save money vs getting a hotel room,
So I just need to bring the bare essentials if I do that. The rest of the stuff I like to bring is some spare parts and tools.
I agree on the Firearm. But for me, that is every day insurance and not limited to 4wheeling.
@rlenglish
I totally ROFL over the fat hiker friend and shooting them in the knee.
:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts