Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
You have built some stuff I have bought, press and lift. Fairly simple tools overall, harbor freight just hit my time value equation.

I just put together a table for my projector and home theater stuff. Its not the final answer, but what I had sitting around in the shop, so it was effectively free. She does not mind it to much, but its not perfect. I am not sure if it will stay, or get repurposed. I still need to finish the corners. For dimensions the diamond plate pieces are 2x4x1/4 (from my flatbed project) and the table is built out of 1x2x.120 tube I bought for $10 a stick a few years back on closeout. It sits about 10 inches high for the short throw projector.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somebody gave me all the steal and the hydraulic cylinder for the press...the crane I made in welding shop and the steel was free because I helped the teacher when needed...same for the welding table, free steel made in welding shop...otherwise I do the same, look at what is available at HF, Northern Tool, etc. and then do the math re steel and consumables cost, time and all that...then go buy it if I can't fabricate cost/time wise...there are always trade-offs...

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Somebody likes diamond plate...gives me so great ideas...thanks for showing!
I picked up the diamonds plate on close out, bought all they had. A couple dozen 2x4x.24 pieces. I try to not waste it, its at least 300 bucks a piece now. Most things I build with it are 2x4 so I can re purpose it.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
nice work on the bed

I use the Receiver between the bed and the rear wheel for a spare trailer hitch storage. Its hard to tell in the pic, but that is one of those torsion flex hitches. Basically suppose to reduce the trailer from slapping into the truck. I only use it on long drives, so it seemed easier to store it there, than in the house. Always available and out of my way. I may mount some spare gas/diesel cans there in the future.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
nice work on the bed

I use the Receiver between the bed and the rear wheel for a spare trailer hitch storage. Its hard to tell in the pic, but that is one of those torsion flex hitches. Basically suppose to reduce the trailer from slapping into the truck. I only use it on long drives, so it seemed easier to store it there, than in the house. Always available and out of my way. I may mount some spare gas/diesel cans there in the future.
Thanks for the reply. I enjoyed designing my bed. I chose to include 8 gallons of fuel storage into the front vertical cab protection area and storage for an extension ladder between the frame rails under the bed. It was a fun project. The truck's a 4x4 so I removed the wheels and added off road wheels and tires with singles in the back.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Extra fuel is always a good ides.

I made my bed as low as possible, in lieu of storage under it. I did think of some water tanks under the passenger side of the bed. Could still do it... I just bolted the 4 aluminum plates to the center section of the bed for easy access. I also put down a bunch of tie down points on the bed, makes securing stuff super easy.
I had other plans for removable storage on the sides, but time got away from me and needed to use the truck. Still need to do some sort of headache rack.

Today I hope to make some shock simulators so I can figure out mounting locations at full bump. The tube arrives today, hope to do some quick cutting, drilling and welding tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts