Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's all take a deep breath and confess that even Rubicons do occasionally get stuck or hung up. At least they should if you're really wheelin' 'em! Come on, fess up, let's see the photos...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Winching from the side with the snatch block worked really well in this instance. Technically I wasn't stuck, but the angle of the rock step I was climbing forced me against a tree. If I went forward, I was gonna rip the licence plate bracket off, and if I reversed I was gonna rip the flare off. So my pal with the winch saved me the trouble of removing the plate bracket by tugging my rig sideways enough to clear the bracket, and then he held the tension on the winch while I crawled forward and up over the rock step.

You can see how tight I got to the tree a little better in this shot. That's what I get for taking the 'easy' line near the trees...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You guys don't need any type of ORV/OHV sticker/permit to go wheeling up there? Must be nice :lol:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Rubiconvict: Those look very much like Alberta plates? Where is that trail you were running?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are Province of Newfoundland plates.

That trail is one on thousands in our enormous island province. We have it made up here, as far as trails go. And since the population density is so low, compared to the land mass, there's plenty of recreational land to go around for all users. No special offroad registration required. Newfoundland is one of the largest island land masses in the world. Most of the interior has never even been set foot on by humans. Cool, huh?

There are so many trail networks in close proximity, that I seldom have to drive more than ten minutes to access some of the best wheelin' areas around.

Just this year we discovered an area that is a dream come true, for those guys who like rock.

Here's a link to some thumbnail galleries of photos from our trail runs from last Saturday, and the Saturday before, if anyone's interested in seeing the kind of areas we wheel here in Newfoundland...

http://www.nova4x4.com/html/trails/june152003/

http://www.nova4x4.com/html/trails/june72003/

·
Registered
454 Posts
Frick, now I want to move to Newfoundland. Who's ever heard of an Albertan moving to Newfoundland though? hahah

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Rubiconvict said:
You can see how tight I got to the tree a little better in this shot. That's what I get for taking the 'easy' line near the trees...

Yea I was looking at the first shots and looks like a better line might have been putting your left/right tire on each of those rock slabs farther away from the trees....oh well hind site is 20/20....At least you had fun.
PeteM

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Nice winching! To be honest I like getting into technical winching :) Usually its saving someone else but I thinks its all part of the fun... standing there scratching your head trying to figure out if you can do a figure 8 or something with the winch to pull him out :)

Justin

·
Registered
340 Posts
triver525 said:
Frick, now I want to move to Newfoundland. Who's ever heard of an Albertan moving to Newfoundland though? hahah
Ha! That's funny.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
j762538 said:

cool pic...
little help with imagestation..... take the (.orig.jpg) off your info.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am sooooo there. That looks awesome. Too bad it wasn't a little more of an off camber uphill climb too. Just kidding, I would kill for trails like that.

I am heading out tomorrow, I will try to snap some pics of our local trails. It's going to be muddy because it's been raining for the last 3 days.

Hey Vulcan and Talon, you guys should come out tomorrow. Too bad I mentioned it a bit late. :oops:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
The almost Roll Video...Comming Soon

Well I almost did it....ALMOST rolled my jeep....jeez...I will post the video as soon as my budy sends me the clip.
Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep...

Plenty of gnarly rock to be found out our way too. Doesn't this section make you wanna rush right out and wheel it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to rescue one of my Rubicon brother's from a steep embankment, where he got jammed up in the rocks and tree, yesterday....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have any pics of them, but I have needed a yank twice so far.

One time I took a bad line in a river and instead of breaking an axle, I swallowed my pride and took a pull from a Toyota. Meanwhile the trail guide was telling me to turn the steering wheel left then right quickly.
I opted not to break a U-Joint as this has proven to be the downfall of a couple Rubi axles.

The second time was pretty funny. I normally avoid mud, but decided to follow a YJ through what I thought was a little mud hole.
2 lessons learned
1) Never follow anyone named Mudjockey into mud
2) Make sure you know the tire size of the guy in front of you. In mud there is a HUGE difference between 33s and 37s.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
OK. Here's the one time I had to take the strap, when Air Rubi was just an idea. Hung up on a rock under the diaper, and it did not want to come loose. The correct line is further to the right.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
JerryC said:
OK. Here's the one time I had to take the strap, when Air Rubi was just an idea. Hung up on a rock under the diaper, and it did not want to come loose. The correct line is further to the right.

Man I bet that was a VERY cold recovery experience...
Pete M

1 - 20 of 38 Posts