Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive my Rubi, there is a sqeaking noise that appears to be originating from underneath the vehicle. It's sounds like a bunch of crickets sounding off in unison. It occurs even when the vehicle is not moving but is not so pronounced when idling or moving at parking lot speeds. I haven't done any mods to it and the only tinkering that I did was disconnecting the sway bars. I'm pretty sure that when I reconnected it I tightened the nuts properly (maybe I'm grabbing at straws). I don't know what's causing the sound but was wondering if anyone else experienced this? Other than that, the Jeep runs like a dream.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That doesn't sound like any issue I have ever heard of. Does the noise change when the clutch is in or out? Does it change when you pop it into 4x4 or put the drivetrain in neutral? What about when you jump up and down and quack like a duck?

If the noise is there when you aren't moving then it definitely isn't your sway bar (not that it would make much noise). I would say, try to diagnose it while you aren't moving to cut down on the possibilities. If you want, we could meet up and I could take a look for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noises

Triver, it started immediately after the "Pretty Rock" trail ride we did together. I looked underneath and couldn't find anything unusual but I'll have another look. I'm going to the Jeep Jamboree this weekend. Are you going? If so, I'll see you there. I'd be greatfull if you'd have a look yourself to see if there's anything I'm missing. Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
What are you doing tonight? I'm not going to the JJ this weekend so maybe we should try figuring out what is up with your Jeep before you head up. I'll PM you my cell #.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cardan joint

Well, the dealership found the cause of the problem: the front cardan joint. They won't warranty it because they say that it was covered in mud. I pressure wash my Rubi after every off-road trip and the night before I removed, by hand, as much mud that the pressure washer wouldn't. I contacted DC Customer Assistance and the nice lady agreed with the dealerships diagnosis and when I asked for an explanation she kindly said, "I can't comment on the technical explanation. You'll have to speak to the service technician at your dealership". Is this typical of DC? I love my Rubi, and the noise is more of an annoyance than anything else. They told me the seal was dry and that was the cause of the squeaking. I'm quite pissed about the quality of customer service at this point. If this is a non-serviceable part and I didn't cause the damage or failure due to neglect to maintain the vehicle (my service intervals are up-to-date), what gives??? :x And don't get me started about the "mud" issue. Am I being unreasonable?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That does seem rediculous that they woudl nto warranty such a part.

I can say, if you taken it to another dealer, it may have been fixed no Q?'s asked.

I can't even imagine why some dealers are being such hard asses, especialy when others seem so casual about warranty work.

I do not see how anything being covered in mud on any jeep would have any bearing on warranty or not... geeeesh.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That is BS.. Call the dealership and let them know that the same problem had arisen on the 2K's and it was solved by DC at no charge. they cannot deny that under warrenty. if you have to call the regional manager and let him know. Your dealership is screwing you. If they are not going to cover the DS what will the cover when there are mods...

Let me know what happens cause I am getting an new DS cause I tore the freaking rubber boot on it..I maybe able to help you from ontario if need be.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cardan joint

Get this: I get off the phone with the service manager. He says that the part did not fail and that debris and moisture are the cause of the annoying squeaking. I asked him if he was stating that I'd misused the vehicle. He said he couldn't say that because he has no idea how I drive it but that based on the information he'd received from the service technicians, the part didn't fail and that they could not therefore warranty it. I talked to DC Customer Assistance and they concurred with the service manager.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bring it here, I'll fix it under warranty.

Has this service manager ever driven down HWY 2!?! You find alot of "moisture and debris" there!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
C:

Take it to Tower (I really hope that you haven't already because that doesn't bode well for me). They said that TJs were meant to be wheeled so unless they could prove that offroading caused the problem, they would warrantee it. If all else fails, give me call and I'd be more than happy to call the dealership on your behalf (I like causing **** sometimes).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it to Eastside Dodge. Thanks for the offer Triver. Thanks for all your replies and advice guys. I really appreciate it. It's the only thing that's prevented me from going "postal" about this whole matter. No offence intended to those of you working for Canada Post.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Talon, always "Mr. Politically correct".

What does it mean when the flag at the post office is flying at half mast?

They're hiring!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Talon said:
I took it to Eastside Dodge. Thanks for the offer Triver. Thanks for all your replies and advice guys. I really appreciate it. It's the only thing that's prevented me from going "postal" about this whole matter. No offence intended to those of you working for Canada Post.
So what if I work for USPS?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Talon said:
Was Eastside the dealer that fixed it or were they the dealer that denied the warranty repair? I'm interested because I bought my Rubicon from Eastside and my one experiance with the service dept ended up with me sitting in the general manager's office......Short story on that was my Jeep had a defective radio that was discovered in the predelivery inspection. The service department replaced/fixed the radio before I even knew that it was bad. About two weeks later I get a letter...fill out this survey and collect a $50 certificate for parts. I fill out the survey but lots of the questions are N/A (was the service area clean, were you greeted etc). As I was never there I filled out the form truthfully and they would not give me my $50 coupon. I ended up getting the coupon after bagging on the GM.....I bought 2 cases of oil filters and I will never be back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eastside Dodge

Eastside Dodge was the place that serviced my Rubicon. I've been dealing with them for the past 6 years and they've taken great care of all my vehicles. I've never had an issue with them. Since this last event, I'm not entirely satisfied with the quality of service. Their explanation was such that they would not say that I misused the vehicle (ie. abuse and/or neglect) but at the same time wouldn't admit that the part was defective. The service tech said, "the undercarriage and u-joint was caked in mud. After every off-road excursion, I take the Rubi to the nearest pressure wash facility and clean off as much of the mud and dirt that's accumulated on the vehicle. I even got underneath it the night before and removed by hand as much of the mud that the wand would not remove. In comparison to most of my friends that wheel, I'll admit that I "baby" my Rubi because it's also my daily commuter.

I took advantage of the survey and collected my $50 coupons. But at that time (2 weeks ago) I had not had a negative experience with them. In all fairness to them, they diagnosed my problem quickly. I believe that had it been a different service tech, I may not have had this experience and they would have warrantied it.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Glad you got it fixed....funny too much mud was there excuse....ever seen some of those adds they had of the Rubi when it first came out...the bottom was caked with mudd.....and that was there selling point....AND another add I saw had the rubi submerged up to the fender flares stating somthing about the cupholders....u should have showed that one to the dealer and asked him to define too much mudd and debris.....
Pete M

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is such a poor bussiness practice....Why would you tick off a customer of an expensive vehicle about a warranty issue when they are not the ones paying for it in the first place. Warranty is a great deal for the dealers.....Make the customer happy and send DC the bill.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front driveshaft problems

I'm trying to collect copies of any work orders relating to the replacement and/or repair of Rubicon front driveshafts (due to the cardan joint seal failing or similar) so that I can present them to my dealership and DC in hopes that they'll recognize this problem and warranty it. If you have or have had this problem please scan your service orders and post. Thanks :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey man I know youre pain, I broke the compressor for my front diff, so I brought it to Capital City where I bought it, wich bye the way they havent gave me all of my stuff. They said that waranty does not cover it cause it got broken and wasent a defect. I call a diferent dealer told them about my probleme and they said that they would cover it, so wen I told the guyse a Capital City that I was going to bring it some where else and get it done under waranty, and I told theme that I would rather gave the money to an other dealer cause I was tired of ther BS and there service, they told me that it was illegal what that dealer was doing cause it was broken off not defective ,they agread to pay for the compressor because fore all the trouble that I have had and have whit these guys since I orderd my Rubicon, I thinck I told you about all that Talon, botem line there are a lot of bad dealer ship out ther.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts