Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know you can't fit anything in a TJ and everything that does fit has to have its "home". I built(or bolted together) my rig for easier trails, camping, and exploration and setting up/breaking down camp was always time consuming because everything is crammed in the back. These are the things I've done so far to make camping a bit easier and more convenient.
For starters I needed a rack for the back. All the ones I saw were way expensive and super heavy. I bought two sticks of 1/2" EMT did a little bending and welding and came up with this...

A little more welding to some random stuff I had laying around and a little paint...

I ended up adding webbing to the rack so I could put longer items like my cot and rifle cases behind the seats...

...this prevents the stuff from falling into the area the fridge resides in.
Alll in all I spent around twelve bucks on my gear rack rack and it weighs maybe six pounds. Win!
The rack was necessitated by the awesome ARB refrigerator and slide...

I can't say enough how awesome that thing is, total game changer(cringe)!
So the rack was good and all but strapping down all the crap to it was a pain so I needed a storage bag for it. I looked high and low for something that might work from roof top storage bags, duffels, etc. I couldn't find anything off the shelf that was perfect for my needs so I had one made by Adventure Tool Company which is a mom and pop organization out of Colorado.

They made exactly what I wanted and the craftsmanship is fantastic...

Now with that bag strapped in I just toss all my clothes and sleeping stuff into it and zip it shut, done.
Next up was to clean up the area to the right of the fridge...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I bought this drawer, it was the only one I could find that would(probably) fit...

It is lockable which is nice so I can keep some things somewhat secure if needed...

Fitment was TIGHT!

I had to trim away the side of the ARB slide and do a bit of massaging the drawer to make it fit.

The plastic cutting board that came with it was lame so I glued up some scrap wood...

...a couple passes through the planer...

...some cutting and sanding...

Butcher block oil...

Much better...

So the back of the Jeep is getting there, next up is deciding how to use these new spaces. I might make some drop in spacers for the drawer and see how that works also looking at those Front Runner flat pack storage boxes. More to come.

BTW... here's my photo albums http://jdrios.fototime.com the "tech" albums have photos of the weird stuff I've built over the years.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is so fantastic! You really have been getting things ready. I am heading to autozone for and 1 1/8 socket, just cracked mine. Can't find a spare, will check these out on the computer when I am back home.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
That is very impressive! I love the pull out cutting/food prep board, functional and great looking 👍. I never thought about using EMT like you did - good choice since it can be easily bent and you can find it everywhere. Good job, very creative. Thanks for taking the time to document your project.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more detailed pics of how the rack mounts. At the front it uses the stock back seat mounting bolts and holes...

At the rear I made removable legs that attach to the cage via the seat belt bolts...

....and at the top a simple cradle and hose clamp arrangement.

I didn't want to weld the rear legs on because it would have been difficult to install and also chassis flex might have ended up cracking them off. The hose clamps allow for some give.
A look at the 1" webbing to prevent crappalanche...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Awesome job! Thanks for the write up. Only thing is the legs being held on with hose clamps. The creaking noise would drive me nuts. With everything else being so PRO done, you can come up with something better. "Come on man" we have confidence in you. Maybe a pined slip joint with rattle buffer. Great job though.(y)

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Nice clean set up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts