Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've replaced my bank 2 downstream O2 sensor 3 times. First an Bosh from parts house, same ole..., heard a lot of times only OEM should be used so I tried that, first one was same story so I sent it back and got a replacement from rock auto,(just in case). Installed that one yesterday and back to an engine light.
Has anyone tried cutting the bottom of the cat, knocking guts out, and re-welding?

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's a messy job. The honeycomb has a similar texture to coal and dust and pieces go everywhere. If you do this your cel will always be on.
Also the shape of the cat without the insides can cause a loud exhaust, it seems to boom inside the cavity.
Sometimes exhaust shos have cheaper solutions for cat replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks. I figured it couldn't just be that easy and the light would still be on, but wanted to get some opinions before I had to drop the exhaust to cut out and put in a replacement

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had a buddy say he had heard of filling up with 100% pure 93 and adding a gallon of race fuel and it would burn hot enough to clean contaminates. Any logic to that or ever heard of it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much my sentiments and comment to him. But I've seen some weird stuff work so I was throwin it out there anyway.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
Depending what year you have, the 8 year/80k mile exhaust warranty might still be in effect.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
11 plus 8 = 19 so you may be close :)

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,482 Posts
I replaced the whole string between the exhaust manifold and muffler and my gas mileage improved significantly. In my case more than the dash light was effected.

Add to this - the new exhaust isn’t one piece front to back under the oil pan, meaning that I don’t need to unbolt at the exhaust manifold.

·
904 Posts
I replaced the whole string between the exhaust manifold and muffler and my gas mileage improved significantly. In my case more than the dash light was effected.

Add to this - the new exhaust isn’t one peace front to back under the oil pan, meaning that I don’t need to unbolt at the exhaust manifold.
Mind sharing a link to what you installed along with pictures? Thanks.

·
1,482 Posts
Below is my exhaust source. California, where I live, forces manufacturers of exhaust products to submit their designs to the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B). Upon approval the part is given a C.A.R.B. number which is stamped or tagged on the part. Sometimes the smog inspector is satisfied with a paper record of the C.A.R.B. number. From what I can tell, the placement of the O2 sensors is key.

This exhaust is California compliant. You may not need that, but make sure you read everything carefully and consider your applicable laws.

The system is two pieces sleeved and clamped where it crosses under the oil pan. This is a helpful bonus over the original one piece system.

It also fits with the space allowed by my AEV tt.
0899476B-48F9-4C58-8F1D-D0EE638945DD.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts