Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a set of 285/75/16 MT/R’s for my Rubi and was wondering if the stock tire carrier would be able to support the weight of my new spare, I will be using the stock Rubi rims. I’m pretty sure that the brake light would most likely have to be raised but will I need some type of adapter to make the tire fit? If so does anyone know where I could get one? TIA

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
tire does fit..
raise up the stock brake light with some 1/2'' sch 80 pvc tubing...
and new bolts. the tire will be 1/4'' above the stock bumper i welded
a 8''x8''x 1/4'' plate for the tire to rest on till i decide what new bumper
i want to get.
had the same set up on my YJ for many years never hurt the door.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have had a 33" tire hanging from the tail gate for the past 3 yrs with no support and no adjutments to the break light and I have never had a problem. With the stock rim though you will have to raise the break light. I can get away with doing that with 3.75" backspacing.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I am using the Teraflex Brake Light Extention (BLET) and Spare Tire Extention (STEXT) ordered from http://www.windrockoffroad.com for $45.00 plus shipping. It works with 33" tires, but it looks like some 35" models might fit as well - though weight would be a concern. The BLET kit re-centers the brake light to the top of the tire, it is slightly off-center on a stock vehicle.

It is not too bad of a system, though the bolts that came with the Light kit were too short and the Tire kit didn't come with lug nuts for mounting to the existing studs. Also, the new lug studs were slightly off from the 4 1/2" pattern, so I had to put a lug nut on the stud, and then useing the lug wrench, I bent the stud slightly to align properly.

Have a great day!

Ken

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
dCvR~03Rubi said:
So with that setup the tire rests on the plate rather that the rubber bumps on the gate? right?
yepppppp the tire totally rest on the plate welded to the factory bumper.
puts the weight on the bumper to the frame not the door.
:wink:

oppppppppppssssssss good point i do have a 1'' BL
sorry forgot to mention.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I just put 285/75/16's on my Moabs and had to raise the third brake using several bigass washers as well as needing to elongate the mounting holes on the stock spare carrier. The tire rests on the bumper. I do not have a bodylift yet, which if you have one will prevent you from having to modify the bracket.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We install 4" pro comp lifts on new jeeps at the dealer I work at. We also install Eagle alloy wheels and BFG mud terrains 33x12.50x15. To address the problem of the tire not contacting the rubber bumpers we get long bolts and hockey pucks. I do not advocate the use of hockey pucks on anything but ice and the rear tire carrier. Hockey pucks are nice hard rubber and they are cheap, less than a buck a piece. We take the hockey puck and drill the proper size hole in the center of it. Then bolt the OE rubber bumper to it and trim off the excess puck material with a bench grinder. Do all five and then install the pucks under the OE bumpers with the new longer bolts. I had a heated conversation with a customer when i told him that we used hockey pucks, he said they weren't pucks but a special kit we install on the jeep in our show room. It took awhile but I finally convinced him thats what we did.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
hockey pucks

i luv that idea.... been wondering how to improve the rubbers behind
my tire...now im set
TAHNKS!!!!!

mac

G

·
0 Posts
Just so you guys know the stock wheels are actually VERY heavy! I just sold my stock wheels and tires and had to send them to TN so I know exactly how much they weigh. They are 76.25 lbs EACH. The other day I received my new AR767 series 15 x 8 wheels with 33 x 12.5 BFG AT KO and they weigh in at 77.25 lbs each. I wouldn't worry about constructing some sort of brace if you will be going with a setup similiar to mine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The weight of the tire and rim is only part of the equation. The most important thing is the back spacing of the wheel. The tire must contact the rubber bumpers on the body. The rubber bumpers stabalize the tire so it dosen't rock back and forth eventually cracking the tire carrier right off the tailgate

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also recently installed 285/75R16 MTRs- I have the JKS Bodylift. The spare mounts fine using stock Moab wheels, but I did have to remove the 'bumper' that is on the tub below the tailgate and raise my brakelight.

I will be shaving down that bumper so that I can reuse it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ramtuff said:
The weight of the tire and rim is only part of the equation. The most important thing is the back spacing of the wheel. The tire must contact the rubber bumpers on the body. The rubber bumpers stabalize the tire so it dosen't rock back and forth eventually cracking the tire carrier right off the tailgate
I can validate this. I just pulled my spare and threw it in the back of my jeep until I can do the hockey puck fix. I may just be sensitive, but I've noticed a little bit of warpage to my rear door. BTW I am running 33x13.5" on 3 5/8" Backspace 15x10 wheels. They do not currently contact the bumpers it took about 3 weeks for me to notice them warping and I have wheeled it hard during these 3 weeks.

G

·
0 Posts
I have 33x12.50s on AR767s with a 4 inch back spacing. My 33 fits right on the carrier, still contacts the taillgate rubber stops, and just lightly rests on the stock bumper.

I moved the brake light up 3/4 of an inch by placing a large rubber block under the bracket and re-bolting it in place. This just helps to make the light a little more visible with my set up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts