Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that these don't fit with the Rubicons Rocker Guards. I believe this is because the rocker guards hang lower than the body and will interfere with the stock steps which are mounted to the frame but almost touching the body. I have a 1.25" body lift, this should give me plenty of clearance to install these wouldn't it? Or is there another reason they wouldn't fit? No one seems to be able to answer this, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked at buying them online and everyone that sells them say that they won't fit with the stock Rubicon rocker guards. I would hate to order them and have them not bolt up, then have to worry about fighting for a refund.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I have the stock steps on with Rokmen sliders. The steps do not touch the sliders.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are you talking about the tube nerf bars (side steps)? If so, yes, they will fit. The person who had the Jeep before me had a set of chrome tube nerf bars on my '05 unlimited rubicon sahara.

Are you talking about a TJ/LJ or a JK?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I was actually talking about the stock steps with the plastic covering on top that most Wranglers come with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mongoose did they come with your Rubicon or did you install them later? I assume the bolt pattern would be the same for the LJ and TJ? I just don't understand these websites that are telling me they won't fit my TJ Rubicon because of the rocker guards.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The steps are dealer options, they are not factory-installed. In the case of the Rubicon, the stock rocker guards and the steps share some of the same mounting holes underneath the tub. One would hope that the dealership replaced some of the bolts with longer ones if they installed both options in the same holes. If you are gonna add steps, make sure you do that.

I still favor the Detours Drop-Kicks. They are available in a body-lift version and are entirely frame-mounted with no drilling. They allow retention of the stock rocker guards and provide the needed tire-to-tire protection with a 15-minute, easily-reversible no-drill install and a below-$300 cost.

....I added 2 feet of 2" wide 3M tread tape to mine so I could step on them safely.

If you can have functional rock sliders that act as steps and are cheaper, why not?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hmmmm, liking those - not that fussy on the gap (between rocker and bar) left by the kickout but a straight set would answer my needs perfectly. Too bad they're on the other end of the earth from BC Canada - shipping's gonna be a killer :0/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts