Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the weight of our stock rocker guards and what comes off of it when removed ie...nuts and bolts and rubber washers?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The rocker guards don't weigh much at all (I'd be surprised if they weighed more than 25-30 lbs. each).

The only things that are supposed to come out are the bolts on the bottom and torx bolts on the sides. The nuts are tacked in place for everthing--make sure that you don't overtighten them because it would suck to break one and have it spin--the bolts on mine were only hand tight (not sure of the torque according to the FSM, but I'm sure someone can provide that info).

I took mine off and couldn't believe the crud behind them--I'm going to take them off at least 2x a year to clean behind and wax...It only takes about 10 minutes for each side.

HTH...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Torque

Body side rails (side)- 45 inch pounds
Body side rail bolts (bottom) -8 foot pounds

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just took my rocker-guards off the other day to make room for PSC's Rocker Knockers, and was also suprised at the amount of crud that gets lodged behind them.

Weight...maybe 20-Lb? The fasteners were snug bug took very little effort to remove; a dab of anti-seize wouldn't hurt.

I too am going to make sure I remove the PSC guards every year to clean and wax; however, I'm thinking about taping off the highest point on the guard for some POR15? Just an idea, but I'm seriously considering doing that, or using some type of rust-preventative paint/coating. :lam:

·
Registered
211 Posts
What about some 3M Vinyl (sp?) They make clear vinyl that you can use as a bug shield and whatnot but I might just go down to my local sign shop and see if I can get a piece of vinyl cut to fit back there. It can be any color since it gets covered up so they might just cut some scrap and give it to me for free. The mud rocks and dirt can't get in between the vinyl and the paint but it could still get in between the paint and diamond plate. You would still have to check it about once and year and replace if necessary since vinyl will eventually rub through.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The stockers don't weigh much at all. And yeah, a lot of stuff gets behind them.

We put on Expert Offroad sliders this weekend. We use the ToughStuff vinyl gasket made for sliders. It worked very well. Just seems the bolts should be tighter than the FSM spec says..... I didn't want to strip the tub though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
RE: Rockers

NetJunkie,

How do you like your rockers? I started a thread about rockers and decided to go with the Expert offroad rockers.

Also I'm not familiar with the ToughStuff vinyl product, where can I get this for the install?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: RE: Rockers

ejnewton1163 said:
NetJunkie,

How do you like your rockers? I started a thread about rockers and decided to go with the Expert offroad rockers.

Also I'm not familiar with the ToughStuff vinyl product, where can I get this for the install?
I like them a lot. I hope to have some pics up soon. We're going to Tellico for the Jeep Jamboree on Thursday. The drivers side bolted right up, 5 minutes. The passenger side didn't fit as well on two bolts under the body. I'm not sure which was off, the skids or just a variation in the Jeep. 5 minutes with a dremel was enough to open the bolt holes in the skids enough to work fine.

I got the vinyl stuff from Mesa4x4. It works great. I still have some small gaps between teh body and the sliders though. The body has a slight curve inward that's causing it. So I'll probably get some more vinyl and do two layers there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
NetJunkie:

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the pics. Also have a great time at Tellico. Are you heading to VA for Camp Jeep? I signed up back in Feb, and I'm looking forward to this, it will be my first Jeep sponsored event.

Regards,
Ed

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Below are two quick pics I took today before we leave. We haven't signed up for Camp Jeep *YET*. We might when we get back. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts