Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added an external amp to their stock system? I was considering a 4 channel amp, in the 40 watt arena, to power six of my seven speakers, minus the factory sub. I like the stock system, but it sure would be nice to clean it up with a little punch. The stock amp is said to be 66 watts at 3% THD! I think that's 66 watts divided by six speakers, with a lot of distortion. If anyone has any suggestions pass them on.

Thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
isn't the amp just for the Sub. I would think that the deck would be rated higher seeing as Alpine is making them. Not sure I would be interested in finding out more on this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you add an amp for your front and rear speakers don't expect to hear your little sub anymore. I used to have the 7 speakers system in my last Jeep and when I added 50Wx4 amp for my front/rear speakers I never really heard the sub again. This is due to the fact that the balance is factory balanced to the amount of power the factory system can provide. When you use an external amp, the f/r speakers will be louder and the sub won't balance.

I never tried it, but I thought about wiring the output of the 4ch amp into the input of the sub amp. This would compensate because the amplitude of the signal that the sub amp would see would be higher and hence, more balanced. However, this would most likely cause problems at higher output levels because the sub amp, even though designed for high level inputs, probably still can't handle the level of input signal.

I thought about trying to adjust the gain on the sub amp but the factory service manual says that there is no adjustment. I don't necessarily beleive this because some of the earlier Rubi's came adjusted overly high. I never actually looked at the sub amp itself so that may be something to try. Who knows, they could have just put a resistor or something in line with the inputs to balance the output.

This, along with the crappy stock speakers, is the entire reason I didn't get the 7speaker system with my Rubi. I am just planning on ripping the stock system out anyway so why bother?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
If you add an amp for your front and rear speakers don't expect to hear your little sub anymore. I used to have the 7 speakers system in my last Jeep and when I added 50Wx4 amp for my front/rear speakers I never really heard the sub again. This is due to the fact that the balance is factory balanced to the amount of power the factory system can provide. When you use an external amp, the f/r speakers will be louder and the sub won't balance.

I never tried it, but I thought about wiring the output of the 4ch amp into the input of the sub amp. This would compensate because the amplitude of the signal that the sub amp would see would be higher and hence, more balanced. However, this would most likely cause problems at higher output levels because the sub amp, even though designed for high level inputs, probably still can't handle the level of input signal.

I thought about trying to adjust the gain on the sub amp but the factory service manual says that there is no adjustment. I don't necessarily beleive this because some of the earlier Rubi's came adjusted overly high. I never actually looked at the sub amp itself so that may be something to try. Who knows, they could have just put a resistor or something in line with the inputs to balance the output.

This, along with the crappy stock speakers, is the entire reason I didn't get the 7speaker system with my Rubi. I am just planning on ripping the stock system out anyway so why bother?

A plan could be to add the amp for the 6 other speakers and get a small air volume 8" sub and replace the factory amp and sub. The box should be good enough with the right sub to get some good boom out of it.

JBL or Rockford Fosgate makes a good low air volume sub that pounds..

I may have to look into this when I get the rest of it done...

The list never ends. :oops:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I looked into doing that too, the problem is the stock amp. You would still have the same problem. If you replaced the amp then you have to find a place to mount it. Space is always at a premium.

What I have decided to do is to mount my amp for f/r speakers in my HUGE center console. DC conveniently leaves the grill for the sub so it will vent the amp nicely. Then, I am building a rack for the rear that sits under the deck level. This way I can still use my tonneau cover. I am planning on making the rack adjustable so that when I have my soft top on I can raise the rack a little to get a little more cargo space under it. On the underside of the rack I am going to hang my sub box and amp which will contain a 10" dual voice coil sub. This setup won't work for everyone though, I am not planning on ever using my back seat again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There was a write up on JU about removing the stock sub and building a custom sub box that still fits in the console...I thought it looked very good and scamed a copy of the photos with measurements. Used an 8" sub.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The stock system amp is for the sub only and is listed as an 80w sub. I replaced my radio with a Pioneer p5400 and blew the stock sub. I am waiting for a Rockford replacement and have already replaced the soundbar 5 1/4's with pioneers of much higher quality. I am already impressed with the upgrade with no need to replace the stock amp. I will replace the 4x6's in the dash eventually.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I believe its an 8 wired up to act as a 4 ohm from what I could tell when I ripped it out to throw away. The rest of the stock system is 4 ohm anway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it a single or dual voice coil?

Is it a single or dual voice coil? I want to replace it ASAP. The system as isn't bad, just VERY weak in the low end. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Lothos,
I know this is months later, but the thread was reincarnated.....
exactly which Pioneer did you replace the soundbars 5 1/4's with? Did you have to do any customization or was it bolt out bolt in?

I'm not too happy with the stock 7 speaker setup, but have learned to live with it. I just wanna be able to blast some old Nugent from time to time and the stock setup doesn't even come close to doing him justice!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yep, its in the top rear most point of the sub box within the console. It's maybe 6"x6" in size. Very tiny. There's no way to remove it without ruining the stock box so I left mine in the box and simply ran new wires to the new amp from the new radio to the new sub in the stock box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts