Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went wheeling with a buddy today and totally got stuck in some deep mud pit(God I hate mud). I then engaged front and rear lockers to try and get myself out. Jeep was going no where, as mud was just to thick. Buddy then pulls me out. We then notice a bunch of small logs buried inside the mud pit, on the passengers side. At this point I'm hoping I didn't break anything when I went in and when I was pulled out. Got under the Jeep and everything checked out. So on our way home tonight, my steering wheel starts shaking violently anytime I go over 50km on the highway. Pulled over and still couldn't find anything wrong, so we continue to limp home.

Head straight to the local car wash to clean up mud from under the Rubi. As I was driving home I notice that steering wheel no longer shakes at 50km after the car wash. As soon as I hit 80km, the steering wheel starts to shaking mildly again.

The Tie Rod doen't seem to be bent, and can't figure out why steering wheel no longer shakes at 50km, but now shakes at 80km???? Was wondering if you guy's have any ideas on what else I should look for before taking her in to the dealer or local 4x4 shop.

Thanks,
-Rocky

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
sounds like its trying to tell you there's more mud underneathe :)

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Clean it out once more at the car wash and then check to see if you lost any wheel weights. It still sounds like a balance issue. The fact that it no longer shakes at 50 km, but now at 80 km sounds like you got most, but not all, of the mud out.

Eliminate the simple stuff first. :D

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Or, if the pressure was too low, you may have spun the tire on the wheel and are now out of balance. You can check by rotating your tires and see if the vibration moves.

Ken

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
i agree wit Ken...

happend to me...in the snow aired down spun the wheels to get out
and the rubber turned on the wheel just enuff to cause out of balance
easy fix.

:wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took the Jeep back to the car wash early this morning. Took the tires out and sprayed under the Jeep (about $25 worth). Can't believe how much mud, branches and grass I dragged home with me. Drove home and vibration was still coming from passengers side.

I then took Ken's advise and rotated tires to the rear. No more vibes from front passengers side. Stopped by at local tire shop and had the tire rebalanced. No more vibrations. : )

I Must have aired down too low, about 15psi I think.

I'd like to thank Ken and everyone else who offered their adive. If not for your advice I probably would haved spent a ton of cash if I had brought the Jeep to the dealership.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
You are welcome. I have been there and done that.

Ken

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
glad you found the problem...

plzzzz note 15psi. is a good pressue to run in sand loose soil..or rocks.

ive gone a little lower....but prefer 15 or 17 depends on the terrain.

the MTR`s im using are load range "D" the stock tires are "E" both
can take the lower pressure as sidewalls are thick.
:wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
8 psi is what I air down to and I have had no problems whatsoever. The terrain here is a little different though. We tend to get a lot of loose sand/dirt and some wet rock and such. So far I haven't had any problems with tires spinning on the rims. Then again, I haven't done anything too aggressive in a while so maybe I have just been getting lucky. I dont' think I will change though, I like how much traction I get at 8 psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts