Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start off by saying Happy 4th especially to those men and women serving in our armed forces. You guys are Awesome!

I just installed my OME HD Spring suspension system Kit and must say I was amazed that I was able to install it myself! As you can see in my previous post I am by no means mechanically inclined although after this experience I thinking of changing professions :wink:

Everything went real smooth with the installation. Springs, socks, rear trackbar bracket went in smoothly and more important, correctly. The first thing I did after installation was take it to a good alignment shop to get a wheel alignment. Great! Everything going as planned. Now I decided to add a JKS adjustable trackbar to the front to try to bring the axle back to center. Installation went smooth, I measure the axle by taken a piece of 4 ft 2 x 4 and placing it against the tire and measuring from the fender flare to the 2 x 4 on each side. As predicted the axle was off about 1/2 inch. I adjusted the trackbar to make of the difference, torque the bolts to proper specs and off I went for a test drive. The first thing I noticed when I went for the test drive was that my steering wheel was now off center by about 90 degrees to the right. $%it!! I did something wrong. After searching the forums I came to the conclusion that this was a normal occurrence. I'm not quite sure how to correct the problem and worried that the alignment that I just did will be wasted!!!

Am I going to have to bring this back to the alignment shop to get fixed??
Can I drive it in the interim?

Please accept my apologies in advance for my ignorance on this topic. I'm sure this is probably a trivial problem but I would appreciate any help offered. TIA

·
Registered
454 Posts
For the time being, I would just adjust the drag link so that when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is straight.

OME recommends that you go back and retourque everything after 1000 kms (or miles, I don't remember) and do a second alignment.

BTW, since this is your first time installing OME suspension, did you remember to switch the L and R sides? OME is made in Aus. so their right (driver's) is actually our left. This is something that OME USA may have already addressed. You may want to fire off an email to them and get back to us.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the larger springs on the driver side. I did this per PBR Stitch installation notes. By the way, Thanks PBR Stitch! your site was a great help for this project.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, Thanks for the comment on my site. Please double check your measurements. I have found an error doing it the way you described. Here is the problem with it. You are centering your axle according to the frame, but if you measure to the body you are reling on the body to be sitting perfectly on the frame. The best way to do this measurement is from the frame to the inside of the wheel, as close to centered above the axle as possible. When I measured mine I thought I was a 1/2 in off on the body (I knew I had a body lift, so this was a suspect reading), so I thought about it and realized I should measure off the frame, my reading there was only 1/4" off. I double checked this on a few other Jeeps and discoverd almost the same thing. You get weird looks measuring Jeeps in a dealerships parking lot on Sunday. I haven't added this my website yet, but it will be on my new one. Great job on putting in your own lift. Amazing what you can accomplish. They aren't that hard to do.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PBR, I should have edited my post earlier as I did end up measuring from the frame. You are right, there is a big difference when measuring from the frame. Thanks again.

Quick question for you:

I am going to be doing the 1.25 bl and mml within the next week. Compared to the suspension installation, is it harder to do or easier? the only part I am nervouse about is the mml lift. Thanks

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts