Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone was running a after marked steering stablizer and how you knew if you needed one, and what exactly this fixed or helped with your Rubicon. I just put a RE 4.5 and am planning 33's or 35's in the near future.
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
What it helps with is dampening what I would call feedback from nasty bumps on the hiway at interstate speeds... They dampen almost imeadiately now that I added the new steering stabalizer with my 35's on.

My pro I consult with swears by the Rancho's, upon reccoemndation from somebody here on this board, I went with a Monroe that they stock at NAPA for like $22 or so, and it works really well.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
ORIG done in MAY! heres the post.
=============================================
changed mine today...
used a small pickle fork..removing the stock is a fun job the one bolt is tapred....

new beefy stablizer vs stock

Monroe
# SC2928
this is from a 97 TJ in the parts book Checker Auto Parts .
is guarnteed for life... cost was 22.95
Steers like a dream!
:clapping:

G

·
0 Posts
Hey it must of been you that suggested the Monroe????

Thanks for the tip, it is indeed a welcome rare event when such a cheap upgrade provides that much of an improvement.

For the price, I also endorse the Monroe, even the guy who helped me with my kit liked it grudgingly. Like I say he is still hot on the Rancho's, but I checked, the Rancho was over double the price, and was not so readily stocked as is the Monroe.

I mean I went to NAPA with your supplied Monroe Part #, and he brought it to the counter...... I wish all parts could be so simple....

G

·
0 Posts
I've run the OME and now the Monroe on my Rubi. The Monroe is by far a better stabilizer. The OME is a shock on it's side, I believe the Rancho falls in the same category. With the Monroe, you can hurt yourself extending and compressing it. Real beefy, and it looks like a stock unit.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i get a new stablizer will i have to get another alignment? BTW, my ride feels great right now, but i am always trying to tweek somthing..you know..hehe
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
You won't need another alignment since you don't change any suspension or steering geometry.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I've got the Rancho and from what I read and experienced, the Monroe is probably a much better choice. I didn't see as much difference between the stock and the Rancho as I would have liked.

Go with the Monroe.

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
>If i get a new stablizer will i have to get another alignment? BTW, my ride feels great right now, but i am always trying to tweek somthing..you know..hehe
Pete M
>
>

Well ya said ya had lifetime alignment.. Ya may as well go ahead and do it again right??? lol

I wouldn't know. I am afraid to get an alignment, I mean it is driving so well right now...

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Pete....
i agree if you have the lifetime W.
get the alignment done often...
:D

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True thats why i paid the extra $$ for the alignment...its just a PITA to turn my jp in...lol
Pete M

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the 4.5"lift with 33" tires and I installed the monroe steering damper. I could tell it in the wheel, than I hit some big bumps. Save some money and go for the monroe, That just don't go with jeeps {save money}.

John

·
Registered
478 Posts
I put on a Pro-comp ES2000 steering damper. I tried to run my 64 CJ-5
without a damper, I took it for a test drive up the back alley behind my house and everything was cool til I hit a bump. It almost bucked me out onto the road!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would have thought that the Monroe one would fail quickly as it has no boot covering the shaft.....I would think that crud would get on the shaft and then when you turned and made it compress the crud would work against the seal and in short order cause it to leak.....I guess they are confident in their product as they offer the lifetime warranty.....

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Vulcan said:
I would have thought that the Monroe one would fail quickly as it has no boot covering the shaft.....I would think that crud would get on the shaft and then when you turned and made it compress the crud would work against the seal and in short order cause it to leak.....I guess they are confident in their product as they offer the lifetime warranty.....
there is a boot cover that fits...i just found out a few days ago
its like a shock boot cover.

will post more info when i get one.
:wink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ahhh....I feel better about the Monroe now.

G

·
0 Posts
Vulcan said:
The boot will also catch stuff and keep in inside, it has air holes in it. I thought that the shields around the rods on my OME shocks would keep stuff out, but after getting into the mud with them, I found out that they actually hold quite a bit of mud. So I would rather have the boot off and have confidence seals.

The peanut gallery congratulating me on getting stuck.

As you can see it didn't want to give up that back axle.

Ron

·
Registered
478 Posts
leave the shaft unprotected, as long as the jeep is driven at least once a week it will be fine. Running a boot on your steering damper is not a good idea because the boot traps moisture and crud inside it, this is far worse for the shaft than leaving it exposed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know you guys are talking about the SS but what about the actual shocks is it better to leave the boots off? I just spent some big bucks (for me anyway) and want them to last as long as possible!!! I drive her daily.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use boots on my shocks but I know some hardcore guys who don't bother with them. IMO if you use your jeep year round in all types of weather it's probly a good idea to use them. Just remeber to tke your shocks of at least once a year to inspect the piston shaft for pitting, rust or damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts