Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18 JLU when it’s cold outside and at freeway speed the steering wheel catches and I have to muscle it to get it to turn has anyone else had this

·
Registered
541 Posts
JL's seem to have a few steering problems. Your description is kind of vague. Dealers don't have much support on this issue yet but as with all steering or brake problems Jeep treads lightly as to avoid lawsuits.
Get it in to your dealer, make sure everything is tight. Get the steering reconfigured and get the alignment checked.

·
3,466 Posts
JLs have had multiple steering issues such as loose ball joints, poor alignments, but most seem associated with the steering box being incorrectly adjusted. I've seen one trackbar frame mount come off the frame, which obviously caused steering problems as well. You just got to get under it and diagnose it.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Gotta say we were seriously think JL this year. But talked ourselves out of it. Always had it in the back of my mind NOT to buy a first year anything.

Sure hope you can get it diagnosed and fixed.

Please keep us posted.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
There are some TSBs for steering issues. Mine is without fault, so I'm not well versed, but on jlwranglerforum there several owners who have issues.....either real or imagined. Some are new owners who have never driven a straight axle vehicle before and think it should drive like a BMW, but others do have some issues.

A good dealership should be able to give you some help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No steering issues on my JLR

I just today picked up the JLR I ordered 1/31 which was built early Feb. I was very concerned about the steering issues I keep readings about. Pre-purchase I went over the steering with a fine tooth comb and did a 50 mile test drive. I’m happy to say mine has not a single issue, steering or other wise. Steering linkage is as tight as a frogs ass. No steering wheel slop or tighness at any speed up to 75 mph. Tracks steady and straight. Even drove it down a rough field service road at 45 and back at 35 mph. Suspension is taunt but compliant. Doesn’t handle as good as my ’15 VW Golf in corners but is flat and surprisingly responsive. I’ve driven CjJs, YJ’s ,Tj’s and Jk’s and this handles better than any other Jeep I’ve driven. I signed for it and if something unexpected arises it will have to be deal with under warranty or after market upgrades. I am a fan of after market upgrades.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts