Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here noticed a vibration/noise/grabbing feeling in the steering wheel when turning? There also seems to be a rattling as well but everything seems to be on tight. I took it in and asked Jeep about it but they're pretty much useless around here since I think they've sold one Rubicon ever.

Anyone able to help out here? Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I haven't felt/heard anything like what you described. Sounds like a dud pump to me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just checked the factory service manual. This is what is says for rattling or clunking in the steering.

Possible Cause Correction
1) Gear Mounting bolts loose. - Tighten bolts to specs (these guys are good)

2) Loose or damaged suspension components - Inspect and repair suspension (this is starting to crack me up now)

3) Loose or damaged steering linkage - inspect or repair steering linkage

4) Internal gear noise - Replace gear

5) Pressure hose in contact with other components - Reposition hose

I know none of those probably help, but they are somewhat humorous. Thankfully the Jeep techs don't have to think. That might be disasterous.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, that's a good thought. It's really bugging me. Not so much because it's inhibiting drivability but because I want to make sure I have no mechanical issues before I lift it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
There are a couple more suggestions from the FSM. They say check your PS fluid and the belt tension.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
triver525 said:
I just checked the factory service manual. This is what is says for rattling or clunking in the steering.

Possible Cause Correction
1) Gear Mounting bolts loose. - Tighten bolts to specs (these guys are good)

2) Loose or damaged suspension components - Inspect and repair suspension (this is starting to crack me up now)

3) Loose or damaged steering linkage - inspect or repair steering linkage

4) Internal gear noise - Replace gear

5) Pressure hose in contact with other components - Reposition hose

I know none of those probably help, but they are somewhat humorous. Thankfully the Jeep techs don't have to think. That might be disasterous.
:atabove: That's hilarious. May as well say "Find problem, fix problem." It would make the manual easier to read anyway.

Thanks for looking that stuff up!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
triver525 said:
There are a couple more suggestions from the FSM. They say check your PS fluid and the belt tension.
Yeah, went that route first but everything looks good. It seemed like that would be the problem because I have about a two inch slack in the steering wheel in either direction then I feel a clunk and then the tug of the PSP.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
RubiRedJeep said:
triver525 said:
Yeah, went that route first but everything looks good. It seemed like that would be the problem because I have about a two inch slack in the steering wheel in either direction then I feel a clunk and then the tug of the PSP.
Now that sounds like a steering gear issue. I'd start breaking the dealer's chops for a new steering box. And it has notheing to do with it being a Rubicon. To the best of my knowledge, the steering gear is the same for all TJs, and has been since the TJ was introduced.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts