Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need the forum’s advice. Owner sincere new. In excellent shape. After 16 yrs and 180K miles, my starter is dead. Need to replace. Called jeep dealer, part no longer supported. So I called Advance Auto, they have new one from carquest. Did some research online and found a few suppliers offering new Mopar.
My question, is Mopar going to be much better being OEM ? I have to wait 5 days for shipping. Or is Carquest good ? I’m wondering if it’s a critical part which should be replaced with OEM.

·
Registered
663 Posts
16 years and 180k miles, I would replace it with the same.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,871 Posts
From what I can gather (you peaked my interest because I have a 2004), none are made in the USA. Mopar was reported to be Mitsubishi. Remanufactured, from Mexico.
I would buy the one with the strongest warranty at a middle price not from China. I would buy from a shop so if needed, I had a place to chase the warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can wait (IMO), get the oem. Or at the least, find one that’s not made in China.
Need the forum’s advice. Owner sincere new. In excellent shape. After 16 yrs and 180K miles, my starter is dead. Need to replace. Called jeep dealer, part no longer supported. So I called Advance Auto, they have new one from carquest. Did some research online and found a few suppliers offering new Mopar.
My question, is Mopar going to be much better being OEM ? I have to wait 5 days for shipping. Or is Carquest good ? I’m wondering if it’s a critical part which should be replaced with OEM.
If you can wait (IMO), get the oem. Or at the least, find one that’s not made in China.
Thank you !
From what I can gather (you peaked my interest because I have a 2004), none are made in the USA. Mopar was reported to be Mitsubishi. Remanufactured, from Mexico.
I would buy the one with the strongest warranty at a middle price not from China. I would buy from a shop so if needed, I had a place to chase the warranty if need be.
thank you so much. I appreciate your feedback

·
Administrator
11,321 Posts
Many years ago the starter went out on my wife's Honda Civic, I wanted to save a few bucks so I bought a reman starter. Bad move. After all of the work installing the reman starter it wouldn't work. Took it back and bought a new one from Honda.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,153 Posts
I really think you have to ask yourself "how long before I want to go through this again?" That will porbably snswer your question.

·
Premium Member
TBD
4,199 Posts
If I remember correctly, isn't this super easy to replace and has easy access from below the engine bay?

Did you check Napa as well?
They are my go to place for everything auto. If they don't have it local, they will ship it for free to your local store.

·
Administrator
11,321 Posts
If I remember correctly, isn't this super easy to replace and has easy access from below the engine bay?

Did you check Napa as well?
They are my go to place for everything auto. If they don't have it local, they will ship it for free to your local store.
I haven't had to remove my starter but there is indeed good access from underneath. Napa carries good stuff, I would use them all of the time but their closest store isn't very handy.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Ise a local parts source that wont give you grief if there is a warranty issue. I have had decent luck with the Ultima brand at Oreilly’s get a new one not a reman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts