Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went with the LTB but dont have them on yet the lift kit came in on monday and dont have the time to put it on before the weekend at Gilmer is any one else rinning these can give me a pic and feed back i am going with teh RE 3.5 LA lift

G

·
0 Posts
Weekend Tires?

I have the 34x10.5s on steel rims. As expected they work great offroad but I would not consider them for road use. They don’t feel bad (actually surprised at the ride, expected worse) but they will basicly melt away on the high way. Suggest running for offroad only.

The only real problem that you might have is getting them balanced properly. Bias ply tires are difficult to balance especially the LTB in this skinny size. All the weight of the tire is in the Large Lateral Lugs and it takes a lot of weights at the rim to balance. I had mine balanced twice with little improvement.

I haven’t had this done yet so I might be talking out of ignorance but I read someware that you can get the tires balanced with out the rims (this would supposedly be done at a commercial truck tire mounting shop, not any tire store). The tire is balanced with a glue in rubber patch/weight and after it is balanced, it is mounted on the rim and then a conventional spin balance is done. You might want to look into this before you waste the money to mount them.

Calling a MTR a mud terrain is a bit of an exaggeration when compared to the LTB, but the “Road oriented Mts” offer a lot less hassle and grief. The LTBs are definently a “Weekend Tire”, If you want to run an agressive tire similar to this go with the radial TSL.

PS: the actual tire tread is as wide as 285 dispite the 10.5 carcas width. its a very square profile tire. Im running mine on 7" rims with 3.5" bs with full turning radias (a little rubing at frame when disconnected at full turn/stuffed)
Recomended rim size is 8.

In practical terms the LTB 34” is no bigger than the 33” 285 (Firestone MT). When mounted on the Jeep the ride height at 22 psi is the same as a 33”. Bias Ply tires are like balloons, the more air you put in them the larger they get. From widest Lug to Lug the LTB has about 9” of tread width, the same as the 285 but the carcass is wider on the radial 285.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts