Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this since is helped my squeaking noise. I orginally thought it was a bad u-joint in the DS as well as most that have had this problem. After crawling under the Jeep and pushing it back and forth, I found the noise to be coming from the pinion dust shields. I squirt DuraLube or silicon spray on them ever so often (generally after a trail ride) and it takes care of the noise.

hope this helps some.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where is this? Can ya post a pic or tell me a name of it that would be used in the FSM? Thanx Chaz

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, don't have a pic. The pinion dust shield is the rubber thing that surrounds the pinion coming out of the diff housing. It rotates with the pinion.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes my rear pinion has done the same. I did the repair the same with good luck so far. It's behind the rear yoke at thepinion of the rear end, There's a rubber dust shield.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'll be damned I thought you guys where full of shite!!!! Hell it worked!!! Thanx alot guys!!

Chaz

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I only have one of these on the rear of the front driveshaft, and sure enough, thats where my sparrows are living. Aside from the lithium grease lube, can you remove the shield?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well my Rubi at 8500 miles has got the Bird Noises too. I took it to dealership and it was funny to watch two tech drive around and around the lot with the doors open and hanging ther head over the side to listen for the noise. The Bird Cherp. It starts about 8mph and keeps doing it.. Speed up or slow down and you hear it. The Techs have ujoints and Drive shaft on Order. I will relay this info before they tackle the DS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts