Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a sportbar/roll cage in there rubi. Something like from ORfab etc.... I want to but I haven't seen any installed on a 2003 and I want to know what kind of modifications, with respect to the plastic around the windshield, will be necesary.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe that OR fab has a template to assist in cutting. I have seen one installed in a Rubi. Stevo on here so if he wants to comment. I asked him about it when I saw it and was told just fold down the windshield, install the bar and then put the windshield back up and cut as necessary. The install looks good. The other thing that you can do it get rid of all the plastic and get the surrounds from and '02 or earlier. The plastic is in there because of the requirement of no exposed metal or something similar law.

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yep, pretty much what Ron said. ORF has a diagram for the 03's that shows about where and how much to trim the plastic surround. A little on the top corner and the bottom edge. If you take down the windshield it helps so you can see where it needs to be trimmed. The plastic is soft and a sharp utility knife is all you need. Otherwise the install is the same as for older TJs. HTH

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The challenger roll bar is almost exactly the same with the exception of the grab handles, which concern me, since I will manage to knock my head against them. Thanks steve.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to just do a heat gun modification. Instead of outright cutting you might be able to just heat up the plastic and form it. That is assuming there is enough room.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its really tight between the bottom of the roll bar and the window frame. This is where the plastic needs to be trimmed and removed. At the top you might be able to do some heating and re-forming. I'll try and take some pics and post them.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts