Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find anything I have a 04 auto rubi doing the exact same thing I have gone threw everything and can’t get it to work have found 2 other forums with people that found some guy that had the right program and reset something but neither of them knew what he rest. My odometer registers and I can read speed in pcm and all gages work fine just not speed

·
Administrator
11,322 Posts
Welcome to ROF. One of our members is a professional wrench, maybe he can help out here.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You are going to find someone with a DRB 3 scanner to reset your pcm for axle ratio and tire size. The problem is that Jeep dealers don't deal with stuff this old and independent shops didn't have scanners good enough back then or if they did they have been traded in for more current models.
Your going to have to find a old career Jeep tech.

·
3,692 Posts
Any recommendations for a DRB 3 scanner? I've been looking for a scanner with better capabilities to handle our JK and JT as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
DRB3 is for older SMEC and SBEC controllers. When they came out with the JK the controllers changed. The good thing is that after 2007 you can use the same scanner for all the Jeeps Well for now anyway because new communication standards are coming.

This is your guys problem with TJ's. There are not many older Jeep techs left and the dealers do not get to work on older vehicles anymore. So a under 30 tech just doesn't have that experience.

I just had this conversation with our Snap On dealer. SNAP On licences software and access from the manufactures and offers a lot of features like flash programming that no one else does legally. But they pass all those fees onto the consumer so it costs a lot and is not even worth it for most shops.

I feel that the best solution is a inexpensive blue tooth scanner that you use with your phone. If you are on a trip then at least you could pull codes and access some sensor data to determine if you can procede or tow it home.

Most of the Logging truck drivers I know use one of these. They don't diagnose problems but it enables them to erase a code and force a regen to hopefully get off the mountain.

I do not know what brands are best?

·
Administrator
11,322 Posts
My Ripp supercharger kit included a Diablo tuner which can dive pretty deep into the PCM I suppose since I flashed two different tunes. On the dash of my LJ is a Scan Gauge II which is quite useful since my PCM is always setting a P068 which I clear and I can monitor my choice of sensors.

About expensive scan diagnostics - the Mercedes Benz transit chassis is popular for small RVs however very few shops can afford a subscription for their scan tool. Even Winnebago only has one subscription used in chassis prep, their factory service has to borrow production's tool.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts