Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Jeep and it was not working. So I don't when, how, what caused it to stop. I have read that this is somewhat of a common issue on 03-04 Rubicons. Mine is a 04 manual. The odometer works fine so I know its not the sensor. I have ran the cluster test and the speedometer needle moves and stops and at all the test points. I have swapped the the ECM with a known good one, obviously had to have my vin programmed to it. I have had it at multiple dealerships and none even have a Drb scanner to do anything. I have had it hooked it up to a OBD scanner and it reads the speed while driving. Any suggestions on what the problem is? I am thinking there has to be something else that has to be programmed?

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
Welcome to ROF! You have certainly done your homework. Get the factory service manual and follow their troubleshooting steps. It just dawned on me that model year has a separate TCM (transmission control module) - I wonder if there's something going on with the TCM talking to the PCM. Since this is a new to you TJ, you don't have any idea of what was hacked together by the seller.

·
3,714 Posts
Have you checked the wire/sensor on the transfer case? Sounds like you have the cluster covered, but a loose wire behind it can cause a similar condition.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have visually checked it and pulled it out. I would think that if it were not working the odometer would not work. I could ohm the wires to the pcm if I had a diagram.

·
Registered
220 Posts
From your description, the sensor is working, the computer is getting the speed input, but it is not getting from the computer to the speedo. I have not had my dash apart, but it sounds like the connection from the computer that drives the needle is bad. Download a FSM and look for that interface.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with with you JKP. Does anyone know if it is different wires that feed the speedo vs odometer? Or is it all on Can Bus? I will see if I can find a manual to reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't answer that. It was a dealership that told me it was reading via OBD. I doubt they compared it to GPS speed. Although, I could hold it dead on 60mph per GPS and see if takes exactly a minute to clock 1 mile on the odometer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pick up a Bluetooth OBD reader. Great little tool, and not very expensive.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rear wiper & overdrive lockout & axle switch pod assembly may be suspect. Disconnecting these items should result in restoration of normal operation of panel illumination, speedometer and shift indicator.
I just came across this while looking for something else. Might be worth a shot?
Do you have speed control and does it work? Engage it and see if it maintains the speed.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 20 of 27 Posts