Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I install my lift and put 35's on....what should I use to correct my speedometer?

G

·
0 Posts
You will need to go to the dealership to get the computer adjusted. There is no longer a gear that you can just change out.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Yup
I just confirmed this by site.
I crawled under my Rubicon and removed what used to be where the speed gear was, and now there is just a sensor

G

·
0 Posts
After you get the 35s on I'd check the speedo with a GPS.
You may find that it's just about right.
A lot of JPs come from the factory with the speedo reading high.....(it's an easy way to shave 7% off of everyones warranty :snipersmile: )

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
35s and stock gears will make the speedo 5-7 mph slow compared to the actual speed

31s and stock gears will have the speedo dead on.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
elff said:
35s and stock gears will make the speedo 5-7 mph slow compared to the actual speed

31s and stock gears will have the speedo dead on.
Au contraire. 33s and stock gears will have the speedo dead on.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Whoops
That is exactly what I meant to say

31s speedo will read 5mph fast
33s speedo will be exact
35s speedo will be 5-7mph slow

35s and 4.88s, your screwed
:)

G

·
0 Posts
From the Jeeps Unlimited Site.
Dakota Digital
It would appear that you can have your speedo read whatever you want.
I have one on order and will let you know how it works.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I started that thread on JU and saw the guy post that. He had a Tacoma truck that he used it with and loved it.

Please let me know how that works out. I am really intrigued by this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i think it was rubi that posted (on JU) you can only input 35" tire and 4.56 gear max. if you want 35 and 488's why not just input 456 and a 33 tire so it will read higher speed? or 411 and 28 or 456 and 411 and so on, what ever will give the speed you need.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I am waiting to get confirmation on whether or not that will work.

In theory, 33s and 4.56s will be real close.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
How does this box affect the vehicles mileage readings? If it does alter them in any way, then there goes your warranty - everything voided due to changing the odometer. At least if the dealer changes the velocity setting in the computer, you can't be blamed if it works in your favor.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The speedometer directly effects the odemeter.
If your speedometer is reading 55mph and you drive for 1 hour
then the odemeter will log 55 miles.

These devices correct your speed, and the rest falls into place.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
That's what I thought. So if you make any change to the odometer, then I believe this is one of the things explicity stated in the warranty manual that voids the vehicles entire warranty. It also affects resale value when you sign the transfer paper attesting to the correct milage being known.

Just some thoughts.

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Ken White said:
That's what I thought. So if you make any change to the odometer, then I believe this is one of the things explicity stated in the warranty manual that voids the vehicles entire warranty. It also affects resale value when you sign the transfer paper attesting to the correct milage being known.

Just some thoughts.

Ken
At the moment my speedo reads at least 7% high.
Therefore the milage is incorrect being also 7% high.
If I fix that and the speedo and odometer are correct. How is that a problem?
I can sign the transfer papers in complete integrety knowing that the milage is, in fact, correct.
My dealer won't fix it unless it's at least 10% off :mad:

G

·
0 Posts
I'll add one more thing.
I'm not really touching the odometer. The odometer total resides in the computer and I'm not changing it. I'm only altering the output of the speed sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
The bottom line is that if the dealer finds out you have adjusted the mileage on your vehicle, even though you are honest and didn't try to extend your warranty, he will probably void your warranty due to the clause in the warranty booklet. I am not 100% sure it is there, but I am pretty sure I read that statement when I was looking through the booklet to see what modifications were explicitly listed that would void my warranty.

I would double check this before I did anything that might void everything. I can live with the areas I voided, I would just hate to give up the entire warranty.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Or don't re-gear, get 35's, and extend your warranty that way. Damn, I hope dealers don't start thinking this way and use this as one more reason to disapprove of a claim.

·
Registered
740 Posts
elff said:
I started that thread on JU and saw the guy post that. He had a Tacoma truck that he used it with and loved it.

Please let me know how that works out. I am really intrigued by this.
I just ordered it. When it goes into the Jeep is anybodies guess, but once its in, I'll post up on it (actually it shouldn't be too much longer!)

:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts