Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:
FYI I found that the sony Xployd 6.5's fit in the pods of the rubi if you just grind the outside ring a wee bit ,I can then use the fact. grills so it looks like nothing worth stealing ,A friend makes brackets to fit the 5.25 in the front dash for my sony up there now just got to sell my jeep cd player and the sounds will fit the jeep better JMHO!I can email the pic's of the bracket if needed or does anyone want some made up I have to ask what he wants for them .but make offer and I can pass along info.any body else fit other speakers in the sound pods?what kind of face plate did you find to fill the round hole the indash cd player was in as its a little round on the corners .I have just started looking I would like a MP3 player for the highway trips I have to make.a lift is on the way for the rubi

what do you have in your jeep for speakers

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
I must say I was very disappointed in the lame stereo......I ordered the "deluxe Stereo with the 7 speakers"......I am now in the market to upgrade it. I think a lot of Rubicon owners will dump the factory stereo in short order.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I didn't even bother getting the 7 speaker system. My 2002 had it and it sounded lame and I didn't figure it would get any better. I am going to take apart the rear seat and build in a 10' sub such that the flip and fold action still works like factory. I figure that I will mount an amp for front and rears in the huge center console (with the CB) and then have the amp for the sub on the rear seat with a quick disconnect system for the power connections.

For the front, I have a set of 5 1/4" Rockford speakers which I had mounting plates made up so they fit right into the factory mounting location. Rockford also makes 6" rear speakers that fit perfectly in the old mounting locations. No filing or cutting necessary.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I didn't even bother getting the 7 speaker system. My 2002 had it and it sounded lame and I didn't figure it would get any better. I am going to take apart the rear seat and build in a 10' sub such that the flip and fold action still works like factory. I figure that I will mount an amp for front and rears in the huge center console (with the CB) and then have the amp for the sub on the rear seat with a quick disconnect system for the power connections.

For the front, I have a set of 5 1/4" Rockford speakers which I had mounting plates made up so they fit right into the factory mounting location. Rockford also makes 6" rear speakers that fit perfectly in the old mounting locations. No filing or cutting necessary.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I built competition stereo systems for about 10yrs and I have come to the conclusion that I am building an off-road vehicle so if I can hear it on the highway at 65mph I am happy.....

I must say that the 7 speaker system is much better than my 2K system.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have no delusions that a stereo in a Jeep could ever be a competition stereo. However, I like to be able to hear the words being sung (even though my mom would argue that it is impossible). Besides, 3/4 of the time my Jeep is a fricken grocery getter. So, I like to be able to cruise with the top off and be able to listen to some music.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's exactly what I am looking for.....Nothing crazy but decent sound as most of my Jeeps (and most others I would bet) is spent on pavement. The road noise on a stock Rubicon is reasonable for a Jeep.....

G

·
0 Posts
LILRDJP said:
I built competition stereo systems for about 10yrs and I have come to the conclusion that I am building an off-road vehicle so if I can hear it on the highway at 65mph I am happy.....
Same boat, well sort of. Spent the last 5 years building compt level systems for myself and others. Got $20k worth of equipment that I need to install but don't really want to go through all the trouble since it's a Jeep and acoustically challenged. Trying to envision what I am going to do with it, while concealing most of it.

Have the following:

3 Alpine head units
3 Street Wires 1 Farad Caps
3 Polk Momo 6.5 Components
1 Polk DX 6.5 Mid Bass;s
1 MTX 1000d Mono
1 MTX 4 Channel
3 MTX 12' Competition Subs
Tons of 2 gauge + much more............

Now try to put that into a Jeep :roll: ...........don't see it happening. What I envision is me selling most of it to be honest. Thinking of a way to cut the floor board out and mount the subs in them. Once I get the Jeep I will get creative.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too late for model they are the standard sony Xployds with the red cone they just rekeased a new modle with a different grill but the rings look the same carried at bestbuy ad walmart but walmart was cheaper for the same thing :three way red main cone and a mid and a chrome tweeeter had to grind the outside rine of the 6.5's so the ywould fit in the fact holes with the fact grills as I like the look of "dont steal me I'm the factoray stuff" not worth breaking into I hope

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too late for model they are the standard sony Xployds with the red cone they just rekeased a new modle with a different grill but the rings look the same carried at bestbuy ad walmart but walmart was cheaper for the same thing :three way red main cone and a mid and a chrome tweeeter had to grind the outside rine of the 6.5's so the ywould fit in the fact holes with the fact grills as I like the look of "dont steal me I'm the factoray stuff" not worth breaking into I h :mad: :evil: ope

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the information, and that's how I feel about it too. Stealth all the way! Even considered removing stickers for a moment.

G

·
0 Posts
re

Hi people, I'm new to this board. Also a new Rubicon Owner. After listening to the 7 speaker package at the dealership, not getting them was an easy decision. I didn't bother with the CD player either. I will be installing a MP3/cd headunit. I will run the 4 speaers through the head unit after replacing the stock ones, and I'm building a single downfiring 10 subwoofer box to go behind the back seat, and I will run that thorough a Rockford Forsgate Punch 501S. For the Head Unit, I'm leaning towards the Alpine. Not a big fan of their design, but they have the best options for the money. Has anyone installed a radio using crutchfield harness braket for the head unit? if so, anyone have pictures? The gap hole of the stock radio appears to be rather large. Has anyone fit a Rockford Fosgate 6"1/4
on the sound pods?

thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a set of the RF 6 1/4" but I haven't installed them yet. I am planning on doing that soon but it will require me to install my amp which I am waffling on location. I will let you know if they fit when I get them in.

Does anyone know if the 1997-2002 DIN mounting plate works for the 2003?

G

·
0 Posts
re

Hey triver525, let me know how you make out. Actually the size its supposed to be 6 1/2" crrect? I made a typo.. Unless they do make 6 1/4" which would be cool. Also why are you running such small speakers through an amp? would it help? I'm gonna try to run it through a good head unit with decent power, but maybe you know something I don't. As for the Amp location, I've been contemplating on the location my self(amp for the sub that is) I though about mouting it flush with the box I will build, so it they wanted to steal it they would have to take the whole box. And in the previous model TJ's this would have been a good idea since to take the box out of the back of the seat you will need to open the tail gate to tumble the seat. Now that you can tumble the rear seat from the top latch, you will no longer have to open the tailgate and move the box to tumble it. Now I might have to bolt the box down. Let me know if you come up with clever ideas. perhaps under the driver seat? using spacers to mount it lelved over the ackward shape floor? I used to have them under the rear seatof the old YJ. Bad idea. It used to over heat all the time.

Alan

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am building a rack that will cover the entire rear deck area. I am planning on hanging a sub box from the underside of this. Theives will have to be pretty damned determined to get anywhere near the sub or the amp. I am building it all so that my tonneau cover will still fit over top and cover everything but I could stand on the back if I need to and/or haul more gear if I have the soft/hard top on. I just have to make sure I can put a set of golf clubs under the rack. ;)

The reason why I am running the front/rear speakers through an amp is mostly because of the specific speakers I have. The Rockfords I have are designed for amp power and need to be driven hard. The lower end Rockfords don't really care if you are running deck power.

G

·
0 Posts
re

Interesting. I've yet to see a design like that. pretty cool. Must be some serious system you a re building. Post some pics of it when you do it. I'm starting my box build up tonight. Will post pictures of it my self.

G

·
0 Posts
triver525 said:
Does anyone know if the 1997-2002 DIN mounting plate works for the 2003?
The 2003 is a new desing and the faceplate is more rounded at the corners. They do make one, just make sure its a 2003 before you buy it (especially online :wink: ).

G

·
0 Posts
Low Budget/No Worries Route

I don't want to have to worry about my stereo so this is what I'm planning:

-Stick with factory cassette deck (yep, that's right! Some of us still listem to cassettes). It sounds okay and it looks unappealing to passer-by's.

-six disc changer hidden in center console (can't be seen, allows easy access)

-install inexpensive amp under driver side seat (doubles as seat-warmer)

-replace cheap dash 4x6 with 5 1/4 speakers (Infinity/Kappa??) using this Bracket

-replace speaker pod 5 1/4 with 6.5 inch one-way mids (may need to bore hole but should fit fine)

-cut new hole in speaker pod for tweaters

-add something like this low-profile subwoofer. It won't be eardrum shattering but it'll be low profile and I can pile stuff on top of it.

-I also want to add this shortwave radio kit to convert my AM radio to shortwave. It'll fit in the glove box or the center console.

So, not an entirely cheap system but its cheap enough not to worry about and, more importantly, it won't look too tempting to the ne'er-do-wells. And I'll be able to listen to lectures on cassette, music on CD's, news and various crackpots on shortwave, or just veg on AM/FM. It should be loud enough to hear at highway speads and, honestly, I'll have more options than I need for the amount of driving I do.

G

·
0 Posts
re

-install inexpensive amp under driver side seat (doubles as seat-warmer)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats funny :D :D Could work!

I would really like to install 6"1/2 in te pods. Don't know if I have the nerves to cut through the pods though. Box build is going good. Not easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts