Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger at Justruns had some good info on winching that I thought I would pass along:
..................I backed down the hill so she could attach her winch line to my Jeep. When she pulled hard, her synthetic winch line snapped.

To be fair, the synthetic line was OLD, my guess is 10 or 15 yrs old, and had deteriorated badly from the sun. It should have been replaced long ago. When we got home we unspooled the winch line to remove the remaining line. When we got to the last layer or two we found the synthetic line had melted to the drum..

It had been years since she used the winch and probably never got down to the first few layers on the drum.

Many people don't know, unless they read their winch manual carefully. Most manuals says you should NEVER run the line out using the winch motor. Instead you should always put is in free spool and pull the line out manually. That is the case for most brands of winches, including the Warn Brand.

The reason is that, on Warn Winches, and most other brands, there is a friction brake inside the drum.and it is always on when you are running the line out using the winch motor. This is to prevent a "Run Away" while unspooling under a load. The motor is actually overcoming the brake when running the line out.and thus the drum gets very hot from the brake friction. Some other brands have a braking system outside the drum. An enemy of synthetic winch line is heat..
In this case the melted winch line didn't cause the line to break. I suspect it was one of the other enemies of synthetic winch line, Old Age and Sunlight..

Synthetic line is great and nicer to use than steel cable but it can be damaged by heat, and sunlight as well as sharp rocks. Since most people go a long time between use of their winch, one should inspect it from time to time. Particularly synthetic line.

Don't use the winch motor to unspool your winch line if you have a winch with an "In the Drum" brake system..

Thanks Roger , for the info

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plumber1, I don't know, maybe call Warn and get their take on it. I have cable on mine, we have high heat, sun, rocks and cacti down here in the desert.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
This is just one reason I like the Warn upright winch model 8274.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts