Rubicon Owners Forum banner

soft top vs hardtop

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I loved my hard top in the winter but I loved even more what I got for it. I don;t mind the added noise the soft top brings in the winter winds here in the N. East. I run the bikini windjammer, duster combo in the spring/summer once the the temps rise. What is the reason for the poll? There are several threads on this topic already

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Hard top hands down for any type of trips or the winter time. My soft top isn't too loud, but I only like it for the summer because I can run topless and throw it up in a hurry in case of rain.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
If I even put my hard top on, it's on less than two months. However, I have to admit that I like the hardtop better, but I like the soft top for when I wheel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Prefer the hardtop and use it most of the time, only used the soft top one summer in 6 years. Really love no top but always seem to get caught in s### weather, and were getting to old for that crap.
Ron

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Steve578 said:
I have to admit that I like the hardtop better, but I like the soft top for when I wheel.
Ditto.

This summer I've been running the soft top most of the time. Hard top was on when I went to Silverton, CO, then the soft top went back on.

Previous summers I was hard top the majority of the time.

Usually I've switched back to the hard top by now, but not this year... still running soft top since the Jeep hasn't been driven much since the motor puked two months ago, and now it's broke again, so the soft top will probably be one for another few months.... no need to mess with the hard top since I can't drive a broken jeep at the moment.

I have a bikini top, but the thing is a PITA to get on, so I quit using it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I run the hardtop the majority of the time, when the hardtop comes off it is for the bikini top. I like the reduced noise, not dealing with the zipper windows and the added security of the hardtop.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
After about 20 years of Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap,Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flappity, Flap, with my CJ never again. I just love the hardtop on my Rubi. From April to October it's topless for me. I got the dual tops as that is what was available, but I never opened the boxes. I just sold it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I definitely prefer no top.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I like the hard top for the noise reduction and that I can see out and roll down the windows. I have the soft top but never use it. My hard top is on or nothing.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Winter: Hard Top....(unless its a nice day and its time to go wheeling....I'll swap for that)
Summer: Softy all the way. Hate to wheel with the hard top...too risky. Really don't even like to wheel with the windows down on the soft top, but sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Bikini top all the way...since I'm deployed, this is the first time the soft top has been on in a couple years...and no hard top.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
If my Jeep were my only vehicle, I'd want the dual top option... at this point, i prefer the soft-top as I don't do long trips in it unless I'm wheeling. I don't mind the flap, flap, flap. :laugh:

I had the dual-top when I bought it and used the hardtop quite a bit, but it was too heavy to put on and off by myself and I didn't like the hassle.

I'm getting a bikini top for an option too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses. I even enjoyed the ones that made me laugh :rotflmao: .

I did a search and after reading thru the first 6 pages plus I decided to make the poll.

Without buying one of the hardtop lifty things what is the easiest way to remove a hardtop. My technique of squating under it and standing up was too much fun and after major knee reconstruction due to mountain biking I dont know if I could still use my magical technique.

laters-Kelly

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Mr. D said:
Thanks for the responses. I even enjoyed the ones that made me laugh :rotflmao: .

I did a search and after reading thru the first 6 pages plus I decided to make the poll.

Without buying one of the hardtop lifty things what is the easiest way to remove a hardtop. My technique of squating under it and standing up was too much fun and after major knee reconstruction due to mountain biking I dont know if I could still use my magical technique.

laters-Kelly
The hardtop lifty thingy is pretty sweet, but you can definitely improvise and make one. It's really just a T shape with rubberized hooks that hit between an open back window and the top as well as the point where the door surround curves downward. I put a cheapo Harbor Freight electric winch in my attic to suck mine to the ceiling.....no floppy or flap, flap, flap.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I ran around with a folded softop for 18 years, it did not get cold enough for me to bother with the top. Then I developed tinnitis from the cumulative nerve damage from the wind noise, and the choice was either get a hard top, or lose the rest of my hearing. So now I use a hardtop in all seasons.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts