Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll haven't posted in a while. School keeps insisting on ripping me a new one so there hasn't been too much free time. I put my soft top on for the first time sunday at our camp about an hour away. On the drive home it felt like I was in a Drum. I had a friend ride with me and he said he heard it too. Just wondering if this is normal, I'm pretty sure I got it all right but you never know. One thing is the top bulges upward above my head when moving. I know this is due to the pressure difference but it seems like most jp's I see don't do that. I hear a slight flapping sound but everything is tight and I wrapped the velco around the the 2 bar and snapped the top to the 3 bar. Not complaining just making sure I got it right.

After a week of Beautiful weather our luck ran out and the wind switched to the south :( bringing the bugs, humidity, and rain.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
do you have the side windows properly seated along the forward lip of the door surrounds? Other than that I think you got the two other missed spots.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Was it windy....Mine will sound like that when the wind is coming from the side...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lothos,
I think the sides are in right but I'll double check them.

LILRDJP,
There might have been a little wind but it seems more due to the Jp (brick) going through the air than a cross wind.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RubiRock!

I Think that's it, I've got my trail cover in the back and it fits snug against the gate, bet that's it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i had the same noise...soft top sounded like a little drummer boy
up there causing havoc.

i changed my front bumper to TBT has a large bar that matches
the hood shape.

my theory is the high pressure wind that develops up to the
winshield now gets dirverted or changed into a diff flow path
or pressure drop has been altered to allow a quite ride .

:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Re: Vent Obstruction...

rubirock said:
Check to see if you have something blocking the vents on the inside of the tailgate, I believe that this may contribute a bit to the noice problem if those vents are blocked.

So that's what that vent is for! I had a '97 Sport and it didn't have those and I have been wondering why it's there!

Geesh! You guys are so informative, if I ever get on Millionaire, I'm listing y'all as my "phone a friend"! :crazyeyes:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again rubirock, I moved it and it made it alot better.

Mac I see what you are talking about now... Sorry I had to bail so fast on ya'll, I was forced to cease my activity :wink:

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
James said:
Thanks again rubirock, I moved it and it made it alot better.

Mac I see what you are talking about now... Sorry I had to bail so fast on ya'll, I was forced to cease my activity :wink:
busted!!!!!!!!

i totally understand...
if i get time i may do a wind string test...
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The blocked vents could be a good theory but I have had a tarp and toneau cover jammed in my add a trunk and I have had the trunk empty and I get the same effect...

I would have to lean more toward the "Driving a barn door down the road" theory....

·
Registered
843 Posts
??

But a damned nice bard door.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the whole Barn Door/ Brick thing has to do a lot with it. Unblocking the vents didn't totally solve it but it made it bearable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wind Tunnel ....

Well, if the unblocking of the vents does not work... you could always try drilling several holes along the edge of the body tub (about Ø.500) every 6" - 8' all the way around to help depressurize the interior! But lots of water will get in! So I guess just unblocking the vents may work a little better.
Anyways, my Rubicon would look weird with Scotch tape flapping in the wind and rain while driving down the road blocking those new holes in the body.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts