Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just got my new Rubi in and I was reading the owner manual. It mentions that the soft top is supposed to come off when the Hard top is on. That it is only on now for shipping. Is that what you guys do? or do you just leave the hardware on?

Thanks

Damon

G

·
0 Posts
My '99 had the dual top option and I left my soft top on under the hardtop for about a year before I took it off. I was gone for most of the year. I left the mounting hardware on the bars, and just pulled the bows off. You just need to be careful for people in the back seat, they do stick out a little. When I removed it I did notice that it popped off the mounts, so it is under a little tension. I really didn't see any problems with it being left on since it was all folded really nice. The only thing the dealership could tell me for a reason was that they didn't want to have it damaged. I later took the hard top off and put the soft top back on, and didn't have any issues.

Ron

·
Registered
467 Posts
my dealership told me it was a matter of wear and tear on the soft top material at the two rear corners. i bought it in december, so the soft top didn't come off until a few months later when it warmed up a bit. it was fine.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I always take mine of in the winter. I believe there is a tag that says that the soft top is not to be installed while the hardtop is on. It voids the warranty.

I find that a funny comment seeing as one of the big things about the new TJ was that the soft top could be installed with the hard top.

G

·
0 Posts
Me, I'm going the other direction. The soft top is currently on and I'm going to take it off and put the hard top on........so here's the question.

Do you just leave the top fastened to the bows and wrap it up somewhere? Or do you remove it from the bows and fold it all up and leave the bows somewhere by themselves?

I've got a bag for the windows with that stuff that slips between the windows so they won't get scratched. Do I need the "top" bag that they sell or no?

I'm intending to just clean and dry the top and windows. Is there anything that should be put on the top (like a protectant or conditioner)?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are planning on leaving the soft top in then I would strongly suggest that you get a bag for it. Make sure that it is covered with something that you can drag stuff over and that will keep the top from rubbing on the hard top.

As for a conditioner .. You don't need anything.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
No planning on taking it out so that it isn't in the way of all the junk that goes in and out of the back. Just wondering whether to leave it attached to the bows and hanging in the basement or removed, folded and bagged.

I know........ really it probably doesn't matter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can do what ya want but they are going to rattle and be in the way when ya open the rear door and hatch up on the hard top.. May not bother you to much but it would bother me.. JMO tho, Chaz

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Latemarch said:
No planning on taking it out so that it isn't in the way of all the junk that goes in and out of the back. Just wondering whether to leave it attached to the bows and hanging in the basement or removed, folded and bagged.

I know........ really it probably doesn't matter.
So you are taking the soft top out? If so then you just need to put the whole thing in the basement. Bows and all. DO NOT take the material off the frame only... You will have a bitch of a time getting it back on the frame in the spring.

G

·
0 Posts
LILRDJP said:
So you are taking the soft top out? If so then you just need to put the whole thing in the basement. Bows and all. DO NOT take the material off the frame only... You will have a bitch of a time getting it back on the frame in the spring.
Standing here looking at the whole thing.......now it makes sense.
The whole shebang is going into the basement with that dry crystal stuff in the bag with the top.

Thanks......

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I have an 04 TJ and leave the soft top on under the hard top year after year. Before I fold it down in the fall, I clean it and treat it with the Best Top cleaner and dressing. Quadratec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts