Rubicon Owners Forum banner

so my oil pan is rotting

2534 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  emarlowe39
as titled!! my oil pan on the drivers side is starting to fall apart, and i am confused as to why, cause my heep is spotless. abslutly no rust yet i have an oil pan that is rotting out on the drivers side where the bolts are.

well my question is what pan are u all running? have you updated and gone to a better one, if so what kind or do you have any suggestion?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the possibility that the primer and/or paint wasn't properly applied in that area and the road salt is taking its toll. Summit Racing has a lot of aftermarket engine stuff and may be able to help. Good luck.
It depends on what you mean by rotting ... if it is just some surface rust, then you can scrape it off a bit, buff, and spray with your favorite engine enamel type paint. That is if for some reason you care about how your oil pan looks :)

But if this is an actual rott where you are worried the thing would disintegrate and fall apart, then it is very very strange on such a new jeep (even in the rust belt).

Can you post a picture of it?
The oil pans on wranglers are sandwiched. That is, they are like 2 pans in 1. Yours may be rusting between the 2 pans from the inside out. We found out about it when we cut off a dented in pan bottom to replace it with 1/8 inch plate.
pics?
eslickc said:
The oil pans on wranglers are sandwiched. That is, they are like 2 pans in 1. Yours may be rusting between the 2 pans from the inside out. We found out about it when we cut off a dented in pan bottom to replace it with 1/8 inch plate.

this sounds like the problem. its all around the edges its just flaking and falling apart.

anyways as to everyone else, i wana go out and snap some before i head out, but im catching a flight to florida at 7 am for a weekend of relaxin by the pool at the Yacht and Beach club Resort in disney!! so tuesday when i get back ill take some
You bastid! :D
Lol that's right be jealous. :lildevil:
POR-15 would be my choice to address the rust. Of course that would be before any holes exist.
Pics of the ladies by the pool then???
:worthless:
:D
No holes yet that's a good thing.

Here is a question on my old 87 yj it had a factory skid on the bottom. Would one of those work on my tj?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.