Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as titled!! my oil pan on the drivers side is starting to fall apart, and i am confused as to why, cause my heep is spotless. abslutly no rust yet i have an oil pan that is rotting out on the drivers side where the bolts are.

well my question is what pan are u all running? have you updated and gone to a better one, if so what kind or do you have any suggestion?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the possibility that the primer and/or paint wasn't properly applied in that area and the road salt is taking its toll. Summit Racing has a lot of aftermarket engine stuff and may be able to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It depends on what you mean by rotting ... if it is just some surface rust, then you can scrape it off a bit, buff, and spray with your favorite engine enamel type paint. That is if for some reason you care about how your oil pan looks :)

But if this is an actual rott where you are worried the thing would disintegrate and fall apart, then it is very very strange on such a new jeep (even in the rust belt).

Can you post a picture of it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The oil pans on wranglers are sandwiched. That is, they are like 2 pans in 1. Yours may be rusting between the 2 pans from the inside out. We found out about it when we cut off a dented in pan bottom to replace it with 1/8 inch plate.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eslickc said:
The oil pans on wranglers are sandwiched. That is, they are like 2 pans in 1. Yours may be rusting between the 2 pans from the inside out. We found out about it when we cut off a dented in pan bottom to replace it with 1/8 inch plate.

this sounds like the problem. its all around the edges its just flaking and falling apart.

anyways as to everyone else, i wana go out and snap some before i head out, but im catching a flight to florida at 7 am for a weekend of relaxin by the pool at the Yacht and Beach club Resort in disney!! so tuesday when i get back ill take some

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You bastid! :D

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol that's right be jealous. :lildevil:

·
3,635 Posts
POR-15 would be my choice to address the rust. Of course that would be before any holes exist.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Pics of the ladies by the pool then???
:worthless:
:D

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No holes yet that's a good thing.

Here is a question on my old 87 yj it had a factory skid on the bottom. Would one of those work on my tj?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts