Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy 33" street friendly tires for daily use and keep my 35"MTR's for the trail to extend their life span. I'm looking for a tire that will wear well and still be able to do easy trails but more importantly snow for when I'm going 'boarding. How does the BFG AT handle in the snow, or any other recommendations?

G

·
0 Posts
Well... this is snow country so here's my .02:

I've run BFG MT's in the Winter and found them to be great in the snow and mud one encounters off-road but lacking in traction on snowy/icey streets. If the snow is deep on the streets, they do O.K. But, if the snow is only an inch or two or the steet is icey, the BFG's do not have the siping to do well.

Out of desperation looking for a good street snow tire and one that would do well off-road too, I ended up going with the Pro-Comp MT's on my Rover D90. They're a siped mud tire suited to my needs. But, they have weak sidewalls (in comparison to the BFG) and I would not recommend them for rock work. I just run them in the Winter on the D90. The rest of the time I'm running the GoodYear MTR's.

Bill :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the input. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
D:

The MTRs are awesome in the snow. That is the biggest reason why they are so popular here in Calgary. We have 5 mos of wheeling in the snow. If you have a lot of snow there on the streets all winter then you shouldn't worry about your tire wear; they won't wear much on snow and ice. That is the nice thing about living here, we can put 10,000 kms on in a winter and it will be like 1/8 of a year's worth of wear.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
We got hammered this winter and my MTRs were great.

In a tire test, the MTRs were rated the best Snow tire over the BFGs at and MTs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts