Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Smaller Belly Skid Project!!!!!

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  LILRDJP 
#1 ·
Last night i started taking things apart on the RUBI for a flatter belly skid. After talking with Amric this weekend his RE Flat Skid for the long arm kit only raised the skid <1". Plus he had to put a round muffler on due to the long arm brackets.

After taking the Stock skid off, wich measures 4.5 inches from top to bottom.

I did some measuring, without any mods to the shifter I am thinking of being able to raise the skid 2 Inches, that not alot but no more shovel.

I'm thinking I'll will definetly need a new DS. THis is at full droop where the tranny is projected to be at.

I believe I will also be needing new control arms for dialing in the rear pinion. Time to go for know, Im going to get the material to start making my new skid. I'll keep you updated...Jerry

See less See more
#3 ·
Today's Progress was good, With 2" shorter skid, everything with the shifting linkage lines up. I am in the process of finising the welding, then on to more structure support then I will se how bad the drive line will be....Here is some pictures of the day!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
Ned, not a problem with the measurements, I drew it all out last night, and made some adjustment today. After I do all the final testing I was thinking of using Hurciliner, always easy to touch up, less flaking than powdercoat. I made my rear bumber and tire carrier and finished it with Hurciliner and love it. Got alot of comment at an event that I was at this weekend. Jerry

#8 ·
Ned, I was planning on addressing that today, I am going to do this one of two ways. I am first going to drill and tap some holes on the new skid so the compressors will mount in the same location, another Idea is to mount the compressors to a plate at the top of the frame in the same location, gets them up about an inch more. There are no holes in the frame in this location, and I dont want to make any, so I am thinking of making a bracket that will go around the frame to hold the compressors. I'm sure I'll be posting pics of my progress tonight.

#9 ·
Personally, I'd go with less stuff and less weight. I'd just drill and place countersunk holes. I haven't looked at how they are mounted stock, but you might place the head bolt in the coutersunk hole on the bottom of the plate....making everything flush. Then just use a nut on the compressor side of the the plate...no need to tap the plate at all.

The bottom would look something like the poison spider rockers....

Just thinking out loud. It might be easier to just tap it though..... :roll:

#10 ·
Alright, here's the scoop. I just got back inside from taking a test drive and believe or no no vibes. I drove up to 65mph. I still have one issue with the lower left side of the transfercase hitting the skid on bumps, and I need to finish welding on all the reenforcements, then goes the cleaning up, measuring all the finale measurement, then here comes the hurculiner. My wife told me I need make more to sell them if she lets me get this plasma cutter I have been looking at..... Heres the pics of how I mounted the compressors for now, I still need to get shorter bolt! :D

#11 ·
Put me down for one......................... :D

That is so SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work Medic.......You get this going and you will be the t-case GOD.

#13 ·
Andy you are correct, I am looking for someone local that can come up on a Sunday so I can see what need to change for the auto's. I am going to finish up the first one today, start making a jig for the rest and then start selling them. I am planning on have 3 ready hopefully by next friday --not painted, bare metal maybe a coat of primer to protect them, I need to also look into shipping and packaging.

Right now I just got my plasma cutter and have to cut the 115v end off of it and place a 230v plug so I can start cutting.. I show more pictures tonight!!!!!!!

G
#14 ·
Looks like the only change is about 18" of material. It doesn't look like the skid mounts to pan - just protects it. Also, a provision needs to be made for the front driveshaft. You'll see what I mean when you see one. I think the protective plate could be good for manuals as well.

If needed I can take several pix of the underside with a ruler in place so you can see the measurements. At the least this could get you started with the specs.

#16 ·
Right now I have a fellow ruby with auto coming out on the 23, His rub is stock, so we will see.

On to the update: All done, I resessed the tranny mount 1/4 inch, Very light vibe bearly noticable, I think the Cam bolts will solve that problem, I got all the renforcmants on. I have it back on the rubi, just to drive it a day or two then it will come off and get painted. I have started making my jig for the additional skids to be made, I am hoping to have some done as early as next week...Jerry Enjoy the pics!!!!!!!!

Here is some pictures of clearances!

G
#18 ·
Great work on the pan!!!

I would recommend not to make huge changes for the auto other than to make sure it fits. As for the protection of the Auto's pan make it intergrate with skid row pan (website http://www.skidplates.com) The new 03' pan has three holes which connect it to the transfer case skid. I could send you pics and measurements if you would like. I still have mine in the garage waiting for me to install it.

#19 ·
Arizona, sound great, I would like some pics and measuments, The biggest measurement would be how far the holes are apart and where they get placed on the Tranny skid.

#20 ·
Medic, this skid looks great! At this point, I'm not planning on a MM or BL, do you think there is enough room w/o the BL? I'd really like something w/o the big stock lip and a bit higher, but am trying to avoid a BL for now. I suppose maybe I could shim it down a bit and still be a big improvement over stock...

#21 ·
Max188 I don't think it will work without the body lift. Right now I only a fingers width between the firewall and the bell housing....Jerry PS: I could be wrong, just for the fact I have only tested this on mine with a BL and a MM. The fellow rubi owner coming out on the 23 is completely stock with an auto, I will know more then.

G
#22 ·
Here are the pics of the skid row skid plate. It is designed to slide into the slot in the front of the factory skid plate. Then the holes are drilled and it bolted directly to the factoy plate. It is also designed to work with belly up skid plates.

I measure as soon as my kids find my tape, it seems to be MIA at the moment.

#26 ·
Well MIne has been here for a wekk or so now. Medic crated it up al nice in a wooden crate...thing is heavy was heavy as heel in that wood crate(90 lbs.)!!! Anyhow got the MM lift/ BL oin yesterday....juts been crusing it around listening for new noises etc. ....PLan on installing the Skid as soon as I give it a few more coats of paint. Stay tuned, I'll post pics and experiences....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.