Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this today. It's been in the garage for over 6 weeks. The skid is very well made - I had no issues at all. My stock auto skid had been removed last January after I beat it up at Paragon, so I didn't have to remove it as part of this install. I did the work alone by driving the Jeep up on my ramps and placing the skid on a jack and then moving the jack from the front under the chassis. Follow the Skid Row instructions and you should have no problems. The tab on the upper strut mount that you install under the motor mount faces the front of the Jeep.

edit on 6/29: See the post from csuder99 below. Installing the tab forward can result in interference between the strut and the UCA. I will correct this today - Jerry

Looking from the front:

View from the passenger side. You can also see one of the mounts for my Jeeperman skidz in this view.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Looks Good Jerry..............

:D

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Looks Great !

whats next..... for aire Rubi?

:wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have the same skid and my only complaint was when it came time to change the oil. The initial blast upon removal of the plug leaves a waterfall to cascade down the length of the skid plate because it misses the whole. I had talked with Eric at SR about it and the only advice he had was from another customer that uses pie tins with a hole punched in them to direct the flow a little better.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
csuder99 said:
No!! Wrong !!!

"The tab on the upper strut mount that you install under the motor mount faces the front of the Jeep. "

It faces the back of the Jeep (towards the firewall). See the following thread (further down):

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... t=skid+row
csuder99:

Welcome to our forum. Thanks for the info. I'll reverse it this morning. While driving it after the install I heard 2 "clanks" when going over bumps on braking. I was going to get under the Jeep this am to check out what was going on. Now I know.

I initially installed the bracket with the tab to the rear, and this did not seem right at all. The strut lines up perfectly with the skid when the tab is facing forward. It really looks like it wants to go that way, but the info in the JU thread clearly shows this is not the case.

On a side note, in future posts try to be a lttle less curt than "No!! Wrong!!!" You'll find more folks will be receptive to your comments with something like "Be careful, you may have a problem with (insert error here)." Hell, I've only been wrenching on vehicles since the mid '60's. I'm still learning. :D

Jerry

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Sorry Jerry,

I didn't mean to be rude. I felt the matter was important enough (potential damage and maybe even accident) to use something eye-catching in the beginning. I actually just signed up to post the message.

C>

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
csuder99 said:
Sorry Jerry,

I didn't mean to be rude. I felt the matter was important enough (potential damage and maybe even accident) to use something eye-catching in the beginning. I actually just signed up to post the message.

C>
Please, no need to apologize. I was not offended, and I appreciate your effort to sign up and advise me. I was concerned others might consider your response less than cordial. All the members of the forum have made a conscious effort to be considerate of others. It's part of what makes this the best Rubi forum on the Internet. Many of our members have tremendous experience and talent, but no one has all the answers. Welcome aboard, and keep posting!

This problem would be more noticeable on a stock Jeep. I have my normal highway height set at about 4 inches above stock, so my UCAs are at a steeper angle, and consequently have more clearance between the strut and UCA. Regardless, it would have been a problem offroad.

Here's what the front strut install looks like for everyone:

Incorrectly installed. The tab and the front of the skid are virtually on the same vertical plane. There appears to be sufficient clearance between the strut and the UCA at rest. Due to the angle of the pic, the strut appears much closer to the UCA than it really is.

Properly installed. Again, not obvious due to the viewing angle, there is a definite misalgnment between the tab and the front of the skid. However, by moving the strut mounting point to the rear, and closer to the UCA frame end pivot point, the potential for interference on full stuff is reduced. Note I do not have any clearance or interference problems with the AiROCK height sensor.

Hope this helps anyone planning to install this skid. BTW, correcting this took all of about 20 minutes. All my foulups should take that little time to correct. :D

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
JerryC said:
BTW, correcting this took all of about 20 minutes. All my foulups should take that little time to correct. :D

Jerry
Ah I remeber the famous cross-thread. Nice pictures, wow there's alot of stuff under there with the addition of that sensor.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
I just installed one with the help of a friend, and I can say that the photos on the instructions were very dark, and the description unclear----a very easy mistake for anyone to make. I hope they correct it.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i spoke to eric at skid r . on monday...
they are going to fix the instructions asap.

my skid is now on a UPS truck
im waiting for it to get here so i can modify it to fit my Rubi.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Instaurare said:
Modify it to fit the Rubi? :?:
yes....
the current Skid R plate for the stock Rubicon is fine...

due to i have a R E la kit installed its possibly going to be a cut and fit
make work kinda project.
not worried thats also the fun factor thats built into adding any mod...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts