Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Trying to get my Rubi ready for a Trip to Tellico Mid October and although it can go stock Im putting some money into a few things for my peace of mind.

Bear in mind, this is my first TJ and it won't be lifted until next year.

I ordered front and rear Durango bumpers should be in tomorrow, maybe monday. Warn winch in the next week as well.

Im worried about under armor, what are the weak spots I need to protect? I figured New Gas tank skid, Steering box and Differentials. Looked at the Warn steering and diff skids, not sure on the gas skid since I have heard folks saying you need a lift or body lift to run the correct.

Also how are folks storing there Co2 tanks? Im selling my 20lb tank to a freind its WAY to big to store in the Rubicon, and looking at a new 10lb tank. But I hate the lack of room for gear.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Personally I would pursue the Skid Row engine skid first and the Kilby gas skid second then look at the other areas. These 2 areas alone will get beat to pieces in stock form guaranteed. The engine skid doesn't require a lift at all, but I had heard the gas skid for '03 need a body lift. I will be getting mine before Xmas myself. I already have the engine skid and its worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah I second the SkidRow engine skid - installation is real simple except for drilling those three holes into the OEM TC skid.

After this, I am looking into diff guards, LCA skids and steering pump skid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I second that

however in addition to the Skidrow engine skid they make a beautiful gas tank skid that bolts directly over the existing factory one and doesn't require a body lift.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the Gas and Engine skid just wouldnt do, glad the engine can be protected without lift but I hate hearing about needing a body lift for the Gas tank.

I'll look into the skid row stuff, also someone said something about toys by troy need to look into that.

Kilby makes a steering box skid as well as Warn, anyone had exp with the Kilby steering skid? That thing sticks out and looks like an accident waiting to happen was one of the first things I was gonna protect.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
You are probably going to beat the snot out of your stock T/C skid. Welcome to the club. The Skid Row engine skid is a great addition, and willl actually help reduce the wear on the T/C skid.

The Skid Row gas tank skid reduces ground clearance since it goes over the stock gas tank. I'd seriously consider the 1" BL and install the Kilby or TBT gas tank skids. However, I think the gas tank skid is the last piece of armor you need.

The Warn diff covers are a good value - I have them on both ends. The Kilby steering box skid is very well made. Look carefully in this shot and you can see both on my Jeep. My steering box skid was one of the Kilby prototypes, so it doesn't have the laser cut KILBY on the side. Please excuse the **** eating grin.

You will like the Durango rear bumper. Here's a shot of mine before I installed the Kilby gas tank skid:

And here's my 10 lb. CO2 bottle:

Jerry

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NICE set up Jerry,

It looks like you are running an airbag lift off your Co2? How do you like that?

Looks like im gonna have a problem on my Gas tank skid, I refuse to put a BL on, never a big fan of them even though a 1" doesnt hurt at all.

It leaves me in the market for the Skidrow, or possibly ToysbyTroy. I'll have to look more into them.

Im gonna go with the Kilby Steering skid, and Skidrow Engine skid, hold off a bit on my tank skid.

Warn Diff skids arent that expensive so I'll probabally drop the dime there as well.

What it really comes down to is I ran my last trail rig for years and as you slowly build your rig and get use to it its a nightmare readjusting. With My Trooper I had room for anything and then some. It lacked the SWB of a Jeep or other vehicles, but It never left me hanging.

Dave

·
Registered
586 Posts
If your not gonna "lift it" - "Skid it" was the first thig I did, if your gonna go bigger later you will probably end up with a BL anyway. :lol:

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
I can say for all the bad aspects of a Body Lift, the 1" I have on mine, has been most beneficial in a myriad of ways. It is not only your tires that get extra clearence, as I soon foudn out. It made lots of the other mods easier, in the way of being able to better get to bolts and such. It wasn't that much of a pita to put in. One good long day for the 2" suspension budget boost and the body lift combined and only a couple of hundred bucks for both.

My Rubicon has went through more itterations in its first year than my 5" lifted Cherokee did in 10 years of faithful service.. lol

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
DaveFL said:
NICE set up Jerry,

It looks like you are running an airbag lift off your Co2? How do you like that?

Looks like im gonna have a problem on my Gas tank skid, I refuse to put a BL on, never a big fan of them even though a 1" doesnt hurt at all.

It leaves me in the market for the Skidrow, or possibly ToysbyTroy. I'll have to look more into them.

Im gonna go with the Kilby Steering skid, and Skidrow Engine skid, hold off a bit on my tank skid.

Warn Diff skids arent that expensive so I'll probabally drop the dime there as well.

What it really comes down to is I ran my last trail rig for years and as you slowly build your rig and get use to it its a nightmare readjusting. With My Trooper I had room for anything and then some. It lacked the SWB of a Jeep or other vehicles, but It never left me hanging.

Dave
Dave:

I have the CO2 available as a backup supply to my AiROCK suspension. Now that I have a York compressor I haven't used the CO2 very much. I've kept it as a source of power for air tools in case I can't run the engine.

Sounds like you've made some wise decision on your armor.

Jerry

·
Registered
478 Posts
Get all the skidz you can afford, skid plates and side skidz are cheap insurance against avoidable damage to your Rubicon.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Had to trim some of the bottom to miss the one strap point on the floor, a few screw in the side wall works great. rubs a bit on the seat. Tried a PT-15, fits nice with the soft top, but would not work with the hard top (will hit the rear window) If you don't use the rear seat you have lots of options :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts