Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i guess i am just bored at work today. but, did anyone make a skid plate for that vulnerable muffler yet? just curious.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this is more like it. It's a Magna Flow 6” x 18” muffler. Could probably fit a Spintech or some other mufflers there too.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bob1340 said:
Is that pipe laying on the trackbar? Looks darn close. Does that Jeep have whitwall tires as well?
Don't worry, the pipe won't hit the trackbar unless he takes it off-pavement. :laugh:

Look like racing slicks! :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
saltman said:
It would probably be better and cheaper to reroute it and use a super flow style muffler which is smaller. IMO.
That seems to be the better sounding option,, pun intended :D

Rubob,, where did you find that mess of a mall crawler :laugh:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
i would just cut that sum bi*ch off and dump it...... probably sound better, the cats probably do a good job of muffleing it especially in cali.

·
10,117 Posts
The JK muffler is stainless steel. I wacked one with a 3lb blacksmith maul. It bounced off. I would say it's pretty stout after dragging my LJ's exhaust all over moab and not even bending it. It's probably more solid than the stock skid plate for the TJ gas tank. Besides if you crinkle an oversized muffler who really cares. Now crinkle a gas tank..

Ron

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
On my 17 JKUR I didn't like the looks of that battleship on the rear of the rig. I wacked it off. The Jeep sounded like something a high school kid would drive! Rice-a-roni! I got one of these and mounted it directly behind the factory resonator. Sounds really nice now. The wife loves it.

I put a turn down pipe on it and added a clamp and hanger. Jeep sounds great.
Thrush 17715 Turbo Muffler $25 on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Although it has a nice sound, my old Thrush muffler rusted from the inside.
Yup, could very well happen. It's a $24 muffler. I could just replace it or go stainless for 3-4 times more.
This was sort of an experiment in sound and function. I tried just pulling off the factory muffler and running with just the resonator. Just obnoxious sound. It was embarassing on acceleration. IMHO it sounds perfect now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts