Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Silver Jr. build thread

29K views 73 replies 12 participants last post by  wxjeep02 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2016 unlimited Rubicon july last year, I promissed myself I would keep it stock(ish) for a year before I started making any major mods.
The year is almost up so I´m getting ready to tear into it. Most of the mods I have done so far are cosmetic:

• Mopar JK hardtop headliner, this was a no brainer after getting into the Jeep after work in the 100°+ degree AZ weather and feeling the heat radiating to the top of my head.
  • Rugged Ridge entry guards, honestly, I feel this is something that should be part of the Jeep from the factory, every other car has a door sill, but Jeep insist on leaving the entry bare.
  • Rugged ridge all weather mats, again a no brainer if you expect to keep your Jeep´s carpet clean, my only complaint after a year is the emblems came off, other than that they are working good.
  • Smittybilt neoprene seat covers, I used these on my TJ, the only complaint is the buckles, they broke after a couple months, and I had to replace them. Before I installed them I sprayed 303 fabric protectant on them. This made them completely water repellant.
  • JWspeaker headlights, back in December I drove back to Guadalajara to visit friends and family, a 2100 miles round trip. The JK headlights are subpar, so I decide to make the change before I left. The JWspeaker headlights made a HUGE difference, I have 0 regrets spending $500+ plus dollar on this mod. This is one of those rare occasions where I feel I got more than what I paid for.
  • Rugged Ridge mesh grill, to keep the bugs out of the radiator
  • Rugged Ridge receiver hitch and wiring harness, about half of an OEM and it does the same job
And the one non-cosmetic mod I have done:

• Artec HD crossmember and underarmor, the only issue I have is if installing the underarmor with the stock suspension the front axle will hit the left support for the oil pan shield

See less See more
#3 ·
During this time I managed to get a set of 17x9.5 trailready beadlocks, and a set of Poison Spyder rockcrusher fenders, which are waiting patiently for the suspension to be installed. Plans for the Jeep are:

• Aluminum front and rear bumpers
  • Winch with synthetic line
  • 37” tires
  • Gears
  • 3.5” suspension
  • Front axle truss
  • Hydraulic assist
  • Driveshafts
  • Body armor
My next modification on the list is the suspension, I´m pretty much settled on the MC gamechanger fox edition. But it will snowball several more things which need to be done at the same time: tires, wheels, gears, truss, balljoints, driveshaft, and fenders. This should keep me and my wallet busy for the next couple months

#4 ·
After a long hiatus I am back on the build,
Last week I received the MetalCloack 3.5" GC suspension with Fox shocks
I sold the Poison Spider rock crusher fenders and bought the MC aluminum overland fenders, I was really surprised on the weight difference, it felt like I got empty boxes when I first picked them up. Along with the fenders I got their rocksliders and exoskins.

First up, the exoskins, Have to place them on the Jeep to mark where the holes go to install the nutserts:

Ok, maybe I should secure it a bit better before I start punching:

Reactions: johncanfield
#5 · (Edited)
Next were the rock rails and flip steps if you look carefully you can see where I punched the marks for the skins:

Next weekend I have to fit the fenders and then everything goes out to the paint shop.

#8 · (Edited)
Today I pulled the trigger on 5 37x12.50R17 BFG KM3, I was debating between these and the STT PRO for a while. I was even tempted by the low price of the Patagonia Milestar, which seems to be well regarded unlike some other Chinese made tires in the $200 price range, but at the end of the day I decided on a proven tire, specially since I plan on doing the Rubicon trail later this year.
Tires will be mounted on raceline beadlocks, since I sold the trail ready ones when I was planing to keep the TJ instead of this one. Yes, I'm kicking myself in the arse.
And now the great debate begins 4.88 or 5.13...
No pictures of the tires yet (have to wait for them), but here are the beadlocks:

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Last night I removed the plastic fenders to install the aluminum ones this morning:

I was concerned about being able to line up the fenders to the body, but the metacloack fenders use several of the original holes which only need to be enlarged, using those to bolt the fenders in place made it easy to drill the additional holes to complete the install, first fender wen on in about 30 minutes, the second one took half that:

#14 ·
Also now that I have to deal with the nutserts I found a way to quickly install them. Metalcloack provides you with a tool, which is a fancy name for a bolt a nut and a washer.
So the idea is to turn the bolt while holding the nut to compress the nutsert, it dawn on me to use the impact wrench instead of a combination wrench
Basically you take the bolt, then insert the oversize nut, then the washer and then the nutsert is screwed onto the bolt.
Last picture shows how it goes on, but I was missing a third hand to hold the camera and the impact at the same time.

Attachments

#16 ·
What are you going to do for inner fenders?

#20 ·
Last pic with everything on, all parts are now at the body shop getting painted, I should have them back on Friday, just in time for the weekend.

Attachments

#24 ·
I have been slammed with work and haven't had a chance to put everything back together, but today I sneaked out at lunch to install the exoskins, I hope to have everything done by the weekend.

Attachments

#25 ·
Progress is been slow the last few weeks, but I finally have some time to continue the work.
I decided I don't like the flat black the fender were painted with, so I decided to paint over it with rustoleum rugged black, is a texturized paint, hopefully the paint job underneath will make a good primer. here is what it looks like:

Attachments

#26 ·
Taking advantage of the time off, I started installing the suspension yesterday, Metalcloack 3.5" Game Changer with Fox shocks, the arms on this thing are beefy there is no comparison to the OEMs, here is the rear I should have the fron done later today.

Attachments

Reactions: johncanfield
#27 · (Edited)
Ever wonder why exhaust spacers and/or a new driveshaft is needed when lifting a JK?
This is the axle at full droop with new suspension, the DS is resting on the exhaust pipe, you can tell what the limiting factor will be if no action is taken. For me the action was placing an order for a Tom Woods driveshaft.

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Suspension is all done, working on the floor with Jackstands is not as fun as it used to be 10 years ago, I need to make friends with someone who has a lift :smile2:. Our next house which will probably our forever house will have to have space for a shop with one

Overall the 3.5" suspension netted 3.75" at the rear and and 4.75" at the front. 37" tires are on back order, so for now I still have the stock wheels and tires.

Next is the driveshaft, and hopefully I won't need to do anything with the exhaust after that.

Attachments

#30 ·
Two tires showed up yesterday, three to go. I don't know what is worse not having any tires or having only two.
Not much of a difference, right?

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
Goodies keep coming, last night when I got home the aluminum inner fender and the hd carrier tire were waiting for me. Installed the tire carrier last nigh, and finished painting the inner fenders this morning so I can install them this evening.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.