Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I understand this right the 2003 TJ's have a different type of driver and passenger side mirrors...does anyone make a bracket that will relocate the factory mirrors so I can keep them on with the doors off? I tried the search function but didn't get any results. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought some warrior relocators and went to the wrecking yard and got a mirror off an older tj works good

·
Registered
351 Posts
HARLEY MIRRORS

I have the Harley mirrors, they work. They are a little small but functional. I'm getting the bullet nut and my chrome light rinfs on my jeep powder coated black.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good idea. I never thought of the motorcycle mirror thing. Don't use harley mirrors. They make your pistons stationary and the jeep jumps up and down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
P.s. To the first post. Harley has added to their inventory of biker stuff and do dads. You can get harley condoms now. Only problem is that they leak. Good grief, I need a bike ride. This jeep is almost as fun as the bike and I think It is more expensive. I ride a Valkyrie Interstate. Wish the rubi could accelerate like It does. I will get the winch finished and take a bike ride to clear my head.The biker culture and jeeper culture are two peas in a pod.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Biker Mike said:
P.s. To the first post. Harley has added to their inventory of biker stuff and do dads. You can get harley condoms now. Only problem is that they leak. Good grief, I need a bike ride. This jeep is almost as fun as the bike and I think It is more expensive. I ride a Valkyrie Interstate. Wish the rubi could accelerate like It does. I will get the winch finished and take a bike ride to clear my head.The biker culture and jeeper culture are two peas in a pod.
:boobies: :beercheers:

my harley dont leak.....dammmmmmmmmit.
old harleys always leaked.
:wink:

·
Registered
282 Posts
i thought the only Harleys that didn't leak were the ones that are out of oil?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an idea for mirror movers that will allow me to move the stock 2003 mirrors and leave them in place with or without the doors. I am hoping to use a 1/2" aluminum plate roughly 4" x 5" (shaped to match the door hinge and mirror bracket). I plan to drill and countersink the plate to match the screws that hold the door hinge to the body, and to drill and tap the plate to match the mounting holes for the mirror bracket. I'll have to shorten the bracket screws so they don't extend beyond the aluminum plate.

There are two problems:

1. The mirror mounts will jut out in front of the windshield frame and create a crevice that will catch dirt and bugs.

2. The right side will interfere with the radio antenna. I think I can notch the mirror bracket to allow the antenna to pass behind it, and cover the antenna shaft with heat-shrink tube for insulation.

I bought the plate about two weeks ago, but have been doing too much wheeling to get to this project. :D Poor me!

Dan

------------------------
Updated 10/26/2003:

Well I finally got around to making my mirror movers (just in time for the weather to be too cool for doors-off operation)...

Here are a couple pix:

The mount in place without the mirror.

http://images.snapfish.com/33:4;8:723232fp46=ot>232;=<3:=474=XROQDF>23234<8<8534;ot1lsi

Note the black heat-shrinkable tubing on the antenna to keep it from grounding on the mounting block.

With the mirror in place.

http://images.snapfish.com/33:4;8:723232fp46=ot>232;=<3:=474=XROQDF>23234<8<85354ot1lsi

I did notch the mirror mount to allow the antenna to pass through. Also, I used a piece of 1/16" cork between the mounting plate and the car. The stainless-steel, oval-head screws (5/16"-18 x 1 1/2" and 1/4"-20 x 1") were purchased at Lowes.

With the mirrors moved to this new location, I can use both with the doors on although the right side is partially obscured by the door frame, they do get in the way slighty when the doors are opened (I plan to shorten the door straps), and they are perfect without the doors.

Dan

Edited 4/14/04 to change pix to URLs DL

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Now try an install a safari snorkel :D I have come to the determination that with the doors off you simply should be relinquished to the thought of going without a mirror on that side. I have the '02 relocating brackets and '02 mirrors. I plan on only using the driver side this way and leavig the OEM mirror on the passenger side. There's just no good way to make dual use of the passenger side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts