Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Show your roof top tent and tell about your experience with it.

Manufacturers can say anything they want. Let’s hear what YOU have to say.
Things like…
Brand and model.
Floor
Material
Set up characteristics.
Weight.
Size.
Weather resiliency.
Where have you enjoyed it?
PICTURES!!!

Try to be supportive of others’ choices. We aren’t selling, but teaching what’s available. Tell in your own words without linking to a vendor page. Edit - links are helpful.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Smittybilt XL tent, with annex on a Smittybilt Roof rack.
INFO here Overlander XL
I am happy with it, for the price it has exceeded my expectations. a few trips now over 2 years and no issues.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Automotive parking light

Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Tent

Sky Cloud Automotive tire Tire Car

Rack
Tire Hood Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics. Smittybuilt has a nice page.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Nice pics. Smittybuilt has a nice page.
Thanks, first is Big Bend in Texas, second is Jemez Falls in NM near the CO border. Third picture is in the Guadalupe Mountains.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
This is a James Baroud Evasion Rooftop Tent. Road is the Nevada back country Discovery Route "NVBDR" south of Jarbidge heading to Elko NV. Freshly graded after a tough winter but this road can get a lot rougher.

Elk hunting October 2021 in the Monitor Range central Nevada.

The James Baroud is a top of the line RTT imported from Portugal and expensive. We choose this one because several of our overland friends have this model and said it was worth the cost. The RTT is well build and the fiberglass shell, fabric, mesh and zippers is best you can get. So far we have camped in it a couple dozen times in all conditions and no problems. The pic above is at 9500 feet and night time temperatures were near or below zero degrees Fahrenheit.

We had a lot of down covers and we were relatively comfortable but ice formed on the walls and ceiling of the RTT each night. The James Baroud RTT has a built in solar powered exhaust fan and luckily the Nevada October days warm up and all the ice melted and the moisture was exhausted out each each day. So we didn't get soggy bedding:)

The tent shown is a Gazelle PopUp and was our previous camping mode but this time my son with the Elk tag camped in it. The tent also got ice on the inside and melted during the day by opening up the windows.

In comparison I would prefer to sleep in the tent. You can walk in vs climbing a ladder and you can stand up, have two beds, two chairs and a small table. Also a tent has plenty of room for a Buddy Heater making it warm and comfortable. A Buddy Heater in the RTT doesn't work so well as it is a more confined space.

We bought the RTT for long distance travel as our group runs have us making a new camp late each night then having to break camp early in the morning. This is where the RTT becomes a convince as it is less work than a ground tent.

Will also say the RTT is about 150 pounds loaded with sleeping gear. It does not adversely effect the handling of our Jeep on tough off camber trails. But I do have heavy duty AEV overlanding springs to control the weight.

Conclusion: If you stay in a camp spot for multiple days a ground tent is the way to go. If you are on the move with a group an RTT makes camping quicker and easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts