• 35s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to lift my jeep 5 or so inches and I am faced with the question should I run 35s or 33s. I wanted your guys opinions. I am worried that with the 35s my 4.11 gears will just not cut it and that my jeep will no longer be able to be used as a daily driver. If that is the case I think I will stick to 33s, but I really want 35s, so I was asking what you guys with 35s thought about how your power and gas milage is with your 4.11 gears or if I will need to go to 4.56 gears. I dont want to regear because the $ is a lot.

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Well the 35s will move fine, you just might not see overdrive or 5th gear as much anymore until you regear. I found that 33s work well for me where I wheel.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
unless you already have the big spare tire carrier, a re-geared set of axles, and $ for 5 35's id stick with 33's, i mean you may be plenty happy with 33's at least till you get the cash to re-gear. i just couldnt imagine no 5th for a while. especially with all the highway i do...voting 33's.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I went with 35's with my 4.5 RE lift. I haven't regeared yet, and I'm satisfied with the driveability of it right now. I can still run 70-75 on the interstate, and even still use 5th gear in town. I say 35's....

·
Registered
728 Posts
I went with 33's - Why? The added cost of tires, regear etc. would have cost me about the same
as my Hanson & Warn setup. I went for the bumper & winch.

Andy

·
Registered
681 Posts
split the difference, that is what I would do, TRXus has 34-12.50's, then you are bigger than 33's , yet smaller than 35's and should not have to regear....

I believe several in here have done just that, and all appear to be pleased,,,,,, as long as they get those basterd's balanced....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm running 35" and now thinking 37", but I did regear. After 4 lift kits and 3 set's of tires I found what works best for me. Check what the guys are said it can be very helpfull. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I am running MTR 35x12.5 on 15x8 Eagle Alloys with 5" of lift and an auto trans. Sure I can tell a differance. I liked the low gear with 31's and will regear to 4:88's later. It's mostly a DD right now and I bought it for camping and pulling my Kayak trailer. I think it still does fine, even with the light trailer. Reading the posts, I almost went with the 33's. Personally I'm glad I went with the 35's. 4:88's are on the list though!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am running 35's with a 6" lift and (pretty sure) 3.07 gears haha. Anyways I use it as a daily driver and have had no problems. I still hit 75-80 on the highway and just saved up enough to re-gear to 4.56 (in shop as we speak). So, like it was said above, go big or go home :D :p :D

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
i know i already said my piece but i would like to know what you decided on if anything. im thinking about the 34" trxus like others said, since i planned on trxus anyhow. that really will give you an idea if you think hey bigger would be nicer or smaller would suite me well. i drive mine every day not sure the gas mileage of 35's and 4.88's would be worth my petty trail time but that is just me.

G

·
0 Posts
I've got 33's but someday will go to 35's just gotta save up for regear and driveline work as well as axle upgrade and I think new lockers.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The first question to answer should be: how do you intend to wheel your rig? If it's a daily driver and the 35's are more for show than go, slap 'em on and regear and you'll be fine, although with the added weight it's gonna take longer to stop your ride. If you really plan on some serious wheeling then along with the gears you need to be looking at axle/u-joint upgrades as well. The 5 inch lift and taller tires are going to change the center of gravity so your rig will handle differently too. Your turning radius will be bigger. And even with a 5" lift, there may be some rubbing under full articulation when you stuff a tire up into the wheel well. Is the offset of your rims the best match for the tires? Gas mileage? Well, it takes more oomph to get those big meats rolling so you may see a slight decline here, as well.

For me, 33's are fine but I'm not trying to talk you out of anythng, just offering stuff to think about. Again, it all depends on what your looking for out of your rig.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I started off with 33s (305s) and it did fine. Now I am on 35s, and there is a bigger difference in trail performance than I had expected. I also regeared to 4.88s and put Superior axles in up front. It is my daily driver, and does fine around town. It actually drives better now than on the 33s. runs about 2800 rpm at 75 mph.

Anyway, if you think you want 35s, just go to 35s. If you talk yourself into 33s, you'll spend 40,000 miles wishing you had gotten the bigger tires. Or you'll sell them off at a loss and get 35s, like I did. Better to spend the money just once.

·
Registered
111 Posts
go with 34" swampers like I did :lildevil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This imput is great and I am finding it very useful. I am leaning more towards the 35s now just becuase as most of the post seem to say the 35s are not that bad around town and do not change your driveablity all that much. It sounds like 33s would be a safe bet and I would most likely enjoy them, but then I wouldnt have 35s and as we all know once your start you just want to go bigger and bigger.

These 34x12.5 are interesting, but I have hear that the TrXus tires wear out really fast and that they are just a wast of money. That is not to say that they dont preform well on the trail, but that they will be worn out before I get there.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
i have heard no complaints about trxus wearing fast. every person i have talked to who runs them say they are a step up from the MTR in about every catagory. balancing is the only issue i have ever heard.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
i a 33x12.50 fan my self.. although im not running them now, i did on my last jeep... im running equivalent to 33's on the stock rubi rims.. but i do have a set of black rock crawler rims at the house i intent on running 33x12.50's as soon as i can afford them... but i am just running the 4" suspension lift..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts